Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1971 2.2L 911S Engine. Keep it original or increase displacement ?

1971 2.2L 911S Engine. Keep it original or increase displacement ?

I need some expert advice. I currently have my engine rebuilt on a nicely original matching 911S. Should I go up to 2.4L or keep it original? I'm very torn about this - obviously I'd love to get as much ooomph out of it as possible but on the other hand I don't want to hurt the resale value in case I'd have to sell it in the (hopefully very, very far) future. Any thoughts on this are highly appreciated. Thanks, Jens

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Leave it alone, 2.2’s have a sharper exhaust note because of higher compression, they lack a little torque so you’ll just have to rev it more. G

Instead of rebuilding that engine look into buying a complete engine. Plenty out there at decent prices.
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Fubawu View Post
    Instead of rebuilding that engine look into buying a complete engine. Plenty out there at decent prices.
    +1

If you're looking for more oomph you won't get it in a 2.4. Stay stock or buy a bigger engine.

I built my 2.2T to S specs. It needed new p/c's and cams anyway. It's a lovely engine but definitely not fast by modern standards.

Oomph vs Re-sale

Quote Originally Posted by jenso View Post
    . . . need some expert advice . . . . Should I go up to 2.4L or keep it original? . . . love to get as much ooomph out of it as possible but on the other hand I don't want to hurt the resale value . . .
    Not an 'expert' --- but I'll give you my take, anyway

IMO --- the 2.2 is exactly what makes the '70-'71 cars unique . . . that, and their dog-leg gearbox. There are all kinds of great reasons to bump displacement + swap the 'box --- power, torque, usability, whatever . . . but my comment is always the same

'So? ------- why not just buy a 2.4? . . . or 'hot-rod' a T'?

And I can understand someone wanting to somehow improve/enhance/personalize/whatever their car. But I will say --- for those of us with 2.2s . . . that that engine + gearbox combination is exactly what makes these cars special . . .

. . . and why we got these particular 'S' cars, in the first place* . . . and not a 2.4 (or a 'built' 2.7)

If somehow the notion of 'more' is what you're fixing on, then you can prolly swap the crank + fit bigger barrels + kookier cams + do some head-work etc, etc, etc to get however much 'oomph' you can pay for. And you can prolly do it and still keep those holy 'matching numbers' that everybody genuflects over. But? --- when everything is all said + done . . . what do you really have? I mean --- your car will be fine --- = more 'oomph' . . . and no one will even know what you've done . . . unless you tell them . . . = 'no hit' to re-sale . . .

. . . but . . . but . . . . . . . but . . .

IMO --- as long as we're heading off the reservation . . . why not just find a suitable alu case, then build that big horny honkin'-stonkin' 2.7 everyone always raves about, back it up with a hot-rodded 915 + LSD . . . and just get it out of your system? Swap out the OG ENG+trans and stick 'em on a shelf somewhere

You'll have all the 'oomph' that everybody says they want . . . then you can let the Next Guy decide what's what

Either way . . .

. . . enjoy your choices

*PS I'm One of Those Guys

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-05-2019 at 01:46 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

A lot to be said for weight reduction : 2050 lb. dry weight, a different animal.

Name:  PAF.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  48.3 KB

http://passionautofrance.com/index.php?cPath=372_387
    Last edited by 62S-R-S; 03-03-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks so much for all the swift feedback!!! It is highly appreciated!!! After some good consideration and soul searching I decided to keep it original. And yep, it would make more sense to get another engine to really hot rod it ... but since I'm not using the car on the track ... original is the way to go!!!

Short gears! Leave the motor stock. 2.2S is sweet.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv View Post
    Short gears! Leave the motor stock. 2.2S is sweet.
    ^ This.

As someone with a 2.2, gears are on my "short list."

Noah is spot on . The 2.4 is basically a detuned 2.2 that is stroked to compensate for the lower compression . Stay with the 2.2 .