Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

Hi there.

I’m an ex-Registry and ex-NorCal R Gruppe member (Hi guys) and owner of a wonderful 1972 911T.

I’ve been an “ex” for about three years now. Haven’t read the boards here, bought parts, been to any social events/rides/Treffens, etc since. Happened around the time I got into riding bicycles.

At first it was evening and weekend social rides, then bikecamping and touring (Marin, Himalayas, Patagonia), and even brevets (think riding for 22 hours straight!).

I tried to do both but there was always a conflict on weekends when it was: Do I take the car out and drive the twisty roads in Northern California or do I get on the bike and ride the dirt up and down Mt. Tamalpais. Mt. Tam always seemed to win.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the car and miss the community, especially the meets at EASY and seeing the other guys and cars.

This past summer when I realized I’d driven the car about three times the entire year it seems like such a waste. Such a waste because someone else could be enjoying the car like I did when I first got it. Instead of it just sitting there getting dusty.

The longest drive I did this year was the same one as last year, a 6 hour drive to the redwoods of Humboldt county for a 100 mile bike ride…see what I mean?

So, I’m thinking of selling.

I was toying with the idea of putting a bike rack on the roof so I could at least add some utility to the car but it would completely change the aesthetic not to mention mar the roof paint.

I don’t need the money, or the space, I just want the thing used and redlined more than 3x/year. But, I'm also totally attached to the car, it is *so* fun to drive when I do get it out.

Has anyone else gone through this, sold their car only to regret it? Or just let it sit for years…

Any thoughts/comments would be great.

Cheers,

Jorge
    911S Registry #837
    1972 911T Sepia

Sounds to me like you'll regret selling it...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

You're asking a bunch of guys at a bar if you should have another beer.

"I'm not alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I'm a drunk."

Per
    Per Schroeder

I'm going to be the opposing viewpoint. I went through something very similar last year. I've owned touring motorcycles since the late '70s, the last one being a nice BMW I bought new in '92. But over the last 7-8 years I just couldn't find the time to go riding. Had trouble imagining selling it and being w/o a bike for the first time in 35 years. Struggled with that for a few years, tried to force myself to go riding. Did once or twice, and it was fun. But for the most part, there was always something else pulling me in other directions.

Finally admitted to myself that it wasn't going to happen, and sold the bike last year. Wife and I were sad to see it go, many great memories attached to that and other bikes.

15 months later, we find we haven't missed it. The memories are still there. Still have other things to do, and if the bike was still in the garage we still wouldn't be riding it.

If you have to force yourself to find the time and desire to drive it, it's probably time to let it go.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Jorge- Don't sell it. You like it. Calendar, say once a month, to say go to EASY. Drive over, hang with the gang, have a doughnut and a cup. If you do this each month that's good for the car and keeps you in another circle/group that you enjoyed.

"You'll know when it is time to do something: despite all of your ideas, concerns and even fears. Trust yourself, you'll know. It is then that we almost always take our best course of action."
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

there's gotta be a way to get the bike on the car without any permanent mods or damage... how heavy is the bike?
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    . . . If you have to force yourself to find the time and desire to drive it, it's probably time to let it go . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . .

We Can Be Heroes

You should enjoy things that demand physical endurance while young, then shift to other fun activities (driving old sports cars) as you age. Later, even driving a rough, noisy old sports car might be less fun and you then shift to a Boxster or Mustang or something. Finally, you hotrod your electric geezer scooter http://techland.time.com/2012/02/08/...-reach-70-mph/
    and grope nurses at bedside.

But you don't sell the car until Phase III or IV. You aren't there yet. Drive it once a month and take care of it.

Thanks for the quick replies...

Yes, I know I'm asking folks in the bar whether I should have another beer, hah.

StephenAcworth: Maybe I should look into a vintage roof rack with modern bike attachments but man, the paint (original) would get so scuffed. Not that I baby the car but I'd have to accept all the pedal/crank arm/handlebar scratches that would inevitably happen. Bikes are pretty stout, touring-style 30+ pounds.

37yrold911: Once a month...I wonder what the average amount of miles/drives people's cars get here. I'm sure there are daily drivers here, but besides those.
    911S Registry #837
    1972 911T Sepia

I'll never forget the look on the 14 year old son of the Guy I bought my car from when I took it home.
    My '73.5T along with my 1976 Suzuki GT-380L 3 cyl 2 stroke motorcycle are in my will for the next generation.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T