Thread: SWB seat for a 1970T question

SWB seat for a 1970T question

So, I just got procured and reupholstered some no headrest stock seats that I think they are SWB. I tried installing them in my 71T (not 70T as I fat fingered the subject line) but they are too wide and while the bolt pattern works, the seat belts won't fit around the seat mechanism.

Any ideas on how to get them installed and leave my stock seat belts in place or should I just sell them and start over?

Name:  swb seats.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  74.8 KB
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

Quote Originally Posted by zenithblue71T View Post
    So, I just got procured and reupholstered some no headrest stock seats that I think they are SWB. I tried installing them in my 71T but they are too wide and while the bolt pattern works, the seat belts won't fit around the seat mechanism.

Any ideas on how to get them installed and leave my stock seat belts in place or should I just sell them and start over?
    Sell them and get a proper set of seats for your 70. Post a picture or 2 and we can positively ID the seats for you.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Sell them and get a proper set of seats for your 70. Post a picture or 2 and we can positively ID the seats for you.

Regards

Jim
    Pic is in my post Jim.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514

Those are 65/66/67 SWB seats and will not fit in a LWB car. I can't wait for someone to tell you that I am full of it because they have SWB seats in their LWB car or visa versa. They are about as compatible for your as a pair of seats from a Buick and I'm sure that there is somebody with Buick seats in his 911 that swears that they fit right in.

Regards

Jim
    PS: There is a Junkyard in your vicinity that has some seats for your car.

Ed Heindl said I should have seen you first....

I really tried to make them work.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Those are 65/66/67 SWB seats and will not fit in a LWB car. I can't wait for someone to tell you that I am full of it because they have SWB seats in their LWB car or visa versa. They are about as compatible for your as a pair of seats from a Buick and I'm sure that there is somebody with Buick seats in his 911 that swears that they fit right in.

Regards

Jim
    PS: There is a Junkyard in your vicinity that has some seats for your car.
    Jim, at the risk of invoking your wrath, what precisely is the issue, is it the rails? If I remember correctly the SWB rails are riveted to the seats whereas the LWB are bolted (with the inboard seat belt bracket sandwiched in there)? Are the rails too far apart or is the form incompatible or is it something different entirely?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Jim, at the risk of invoking your wrath, what precisely is the issue, is it the rails? If I remember correctly the SWB rails are riveted to the seats whereas the LWB are bolted (with the inboard seat belt bracket sandwiched in there)? Are the rails too far apart or is the form incompatible or is it something different entirely?
    Wrath? Who, me?

Actually, you bring up good questions.

Yes, the tracks on LWB front seats unbolt from the seat pan and SWB tracks are riveted to the pans. The pictures posted will clearly show that. The seat lock is on the inside of the seats on LWB seats and on the outside on SWB seats. The tracks are actually about 1/2 inch closer together on SWB seats. I am aware of many seats from LWB cars installed in SWB cars(usually done by installing a driver's side seat in the passenger position and visa versa). There still is an issue with seat track fitment, though. Seats for these cars aren't that hard to find, so why bother installing the wrong seats when the proper seats are plentiful and not that expensive? I have seen sets of seats advertised in the classifieds for way too much money, though.

Regards

Jim
    PS: I really appreciate your input and precise, scientific expansion on some of my very short posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 08-08-2014 at 12:40 PM.