Thread: correct wheelcaps for 1965 911?

correct wheelcaps for 1965 911?

Are these correct wheelcaps for a 911 of 1965? If not, what are they good for?
    Name:  wheelcaps.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  135.2 KB
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Yes they are. You can find date stamps in the back side. You will need to look very carefully as they are not very visible and may be covered in dirt and corossion.

Regards

Jim

Jim

Where exactly are the date stamps? I have looked very carefully on mine and cannot find any stampings... Please advise!

Thanks

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Yes they are. You can find date stamps in the back side. You will need to look very carefully as they are not very visible and may be covered in dirt and corossion.

Regards

Jim
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Stephen, hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks for the photo, John.
    Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post

Member #1616

Txs. Will also check as soon as I get the car they belong to (bought it for all kind of parts)
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965

I'd be willing to trade my two piece Porsche emblem for the washer bag........!

Just yesterday I saw a car I went to see in Germany, a 912 April 1965, 450186 produced at Karmann and I decided to buy it. This is where I saw the wheelcaps I got some confirmation on here.

What is more is that I also found it to have a washer bag! Actually I had not seen one mounted before (have one lying around in crates awaiting my time to build) and at first I said it was missing and -preparing for the negotiation- tried to look as dissappointed as possible. The seller pointed at the cap and said 'there you go'. Me: 'yes, but there is no bag', meanwhile forming a substantial price reduction in my mind.

I looked under the fender and could not see it either and decided to push a 1000€ discount. Well no.........., turns out you cannot see the bag, the thing seems to be between the inner fender and the inside of the luggage compartment. I could see the bag only when opening the lid and looking at the inside. Quickly forgot about the negotiation upcoming and could not hide a happy face.... which is why I am more and more sure in the long run to make a financial disaster out of this great project......

Anyway, the washer bag. For mounting it, the thing has to be folded and pushed thru the hole in the luggage compartment, where the lid will show, which -only now I understood- is why it had to be a bag and not a container........what an idea........sounds like great design...neat and simple (you actually only see the lid), but also clarifies it was not a sustainable solution, showing a particular strength in the leakage department in difficult area.....

Anyway, still I only saw it briefly; anxious to see what it really looks like when I get the car end next week.......
    (off topic, but now that Peter mentioned it, I thought I'd share this here).
    Last edited by pss; 08-10-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Just a quick add to this date stamp stuff. I have not found any Lemmerz 911 hub caps with date stamps later than some time in late 67. They, apparently, quit putting date stamps on their hub caps around that time. Just 'cause it doesn't have a date stamp, it is still a correct, Lemmerz hub cap and not necessarily a repop.

Regards

Jim

That would make sense as the ones I bought came with 1/68 Lemmerz wheels that came off a 68 912.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Just a quick add to this date stamp stuff. I have not found any Lemmerz 911 hub caps with date stamps later than some time in late 67. They, apparently, quit putting date stamps on their hub caps around that time. Just 'cause it doesn't have a date stamp, it is still a correct, Lemmerz hub cap and not necessarily a repop.

Regards

Jim

Member #1616