Thread: Question on cleaning Webers

Question on cleaning Webers

Hi.. Well I dove into one set of my Webers to see if cleaning them would solve my rough running condition. I have a few questions. Can this gasket as pictured be re-used? Most things I read tell me to put all new gaskets in. I'm going to order the rebuild kits but I wonder if I can get away with using this for the time being. Second question. The picture below has a grub screw for the main venturi. These screws are wire tied. I'm not sure why. Also this one is actually loose. I can move it a little. Is that normal?

Thanks for any comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I would not reuse that gasket, looks pretty filthy. If you have ordered the rebuild kits you should be getting a new gasket to replace this one. The grub screw has a point on it that seats itself into an indent in the main venturi. The wire I assume is to prevent the screw from unscrewing itself and allowing the venturi to rotate inside the carb. The fact that it is loose illustrates the point. If the wire wasn't there the loose grub screw would have likely worked itself free and be lying on the road somewhere. You can cut the wire, tighten it and reinstall another wire. There is no washer to hold it. Your folcrum screws for the float bowl should also have wires going though them.
    Member #2666

Weber carbs annotated a few years back, I didn't know what everything was so I gave myself a homework assignment to figure it out and leave a trail for others...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 304065; 08-10-2014 at 06:36 AM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I love those graphics!!!!!!!!. Saved...

Do not rebuild without a kit!!!!! And proceed with caution, which I guess you are if you are taking the time to ask questions here...

cheers -

Thanks everyone. I've contacted Paul at Performance Oriented to order the rebuild kits. I love playing with this car.

Very good post !!