Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuchs set of Four 4.5" X 15" Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 67SWT View Post
    Wheels are back up for sale. Now I remember why I prefer to ship to the lower 48. I will not ship to Europe and and under insure and fudge value for customs forms.
    Thanks
    Craig
    Somebody asked you to do that? I'm shocked.:roll eyes:

Hard to insure for full value unless the full value is stated.

Banned
    Talk about a thread that would be packed full of dynamite. Someone needs to bring this one to the surface:

Many Europeans have no problem buying our cars but few it seems, are willing to pay the full tariff to get them home.

And some of us have paid full tariff 3 years ago and are still waiting for delivery of restored items............
    It works both ways. Good workmanship takes time. Some of us pay up the full amount and are prepared to wait.
    Not fair to tarnish 'many' of us with the same brush.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Maybe in this specific case some value fudfing would help. When customs open the case with the 5000 dollar bill and only find some old wheels, you might get them delivered home with ripped tires...

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Talk about a thread that would be packed full of dynamite. Someone needs to bring this one to the surface:

Many Europeans have no problem buying our cars but few it seems, are willing to pay the full tariff to get them home.
    Simply because it's an absurd theft... they calculate customs also on packaging and transport, plus VAT (without deducting american VAT)
    Early 911S Registry #2972
    1969 911 2.0S Ossiblau
    1983 911 3.2 Carrera cabrio
    1964 Lotus Cortina FIA race car

I'll weigh in on this one... I'm not European, but I am a b@stard convict from the Antipoeds who enjoys trying to do the right thing in our small car community.

Tariff and duty are two separate things but for this purpose lets call it the same. In any case it's paid based on the 'value' of an item; in most cases we're dealing with new items with a RRP so that's easy. Now for the purpose of valuing a second-hand/vintage item, just because I pay $5,000 for an item doesn't mean it's worth $5,000.

Say I buy a set of S IDA webers at a garage sale for $500. I flip them for $5,000 but really the market value was probably $3,000 - I just got lucky with an American who really needed those webers. I pack them up in bubble wrap and mail them off to the States and insure them for whatever the new owner does or doesn't want them insured for (I don't care, they're not mine anymore and I have $5000 in the bank - the risk is his). What are they worth to me? I'll say $500... In the vintage car world, do any of us actually care that a government misses out on a few hundred bucks based on OUR micro-market assessment of what some 45-50 year old greasy car parts are worth?

If your moral compass gives you no room to waiver, fair enough - tell the government the carburettors you paid $500 for are worth $5000 (plus the $300 postage handling, and insurance) and make it someone else's issue.
    Last edited by Fishcop; 08-19-2014 at 02:22 AM.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    Say I buy a set of S IDA webers at a garage sale for $500. I flip them for $5,000 but really the market value was probably $3,000 - I just got lucky with an American who really needed those webers. I pack them up in bubble wrap and mail them off to the States and insure them for whatever the new owner does or doesn't want them insured for (I don't care, they're not mine anymore and I have $5k in the bank - the risk is his). What are they worth to me? I'll say $500... In the vintage car world, do any of us actually care that a government misses out on a few hundred bucks based on OUR micro-market assessment of what some 45-50 year old greasy car parts are worth?

If your moral compass gives you no room to waiver, fair enough - tell the government the carburettors you paid $500 for are worth $5000 (plus the $300 postage handling, and insurance) and make it someone else's issue.
    John you make it even more confusing $500, $3K and $5. In the end the government only cares about the price paid, not the value (or what they are worth to the buyer / seller). There are lot of goods w/ a low intrinsic value but w/ a high price.

Tom brings up a good point
    Hard to insure for full value unless the full value is stated.
    . If you as a seller run into issues (lost in mail for instance) how are you going to cope w/ that, especially when it's paid by PP.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    John you make it even more confusing $500, $3K and $5. In the end the government only cares about the price paid, not the value (or what they are worth to the buyer / seller). There are lot of goods w/ a low intrinsic value but w/ a high price.

Tom brings up a good point . If you as a seller run into issues (lost in mail for instance) how are you going to cope w/ that, especially when it's paid by PP.

Richard
    Fair enough. I've standardised the nomenclature

My point is the parts are worth what a very small micro-community of car people 'say' they are worth. Every country is different, but mine for example makes no money out of me mailing something out of the country... it doesn't care what I write. Now just cloud the water - what if we do a trade? I send you my $500 webers we agree are worth $5000, and you send me a pair of ITP webers worth $2000. Should you pay your country duty on $5000 or $3000?

Sorry, I guess I find the whole notion of paying duty on vintage items that have already had duty paid on them when they were sold new 45 years ago a bit absurd.

The insurance is another matter - I don not have a responsibility other than to provide insurance to the value of what the seller wants. The risk lies with the buyer if he asks me to declare a $500 value on an item he's paid $5000 for. I've provided the tracking details and the insurance certificate.

My sincere apologies to the original poster - I don't have a dog in this race. It's just a really interesting subject, and it keeps the items for sale up the top
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    Sorry, I guess I find the whole notion of paying duty on vintage items that have already had duty paid on them when they were sold new 45 years ago a bit absurd.
    That I agree w/

Personally I would be scared to use PP and insure it not for the same amount if I don't know the buyer or sort of.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

are the wheels still available? I am in AZ.

~J~
    air cooled only