Thread: Seat Back Adjuster Issues

Seat Back Adjuster Issues

Anyone have issues with the seat back recline adjusters... any fixes short of replacement... I am guessing it is a ratchet type of stop, which tends to slip or let go randomly ( I haven't taken it apart to inspect )

You haven't mentioned a year or whether it is the driver's or passenger's seat that is giving you problems. So let me guess. You have a passenger side seat recliner in your 68 911 that is slipping? How close am I?

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    You haven't mentioned a year or whether it is the driver's or passenger's seat that is giving you problems. So let me guess. You have a passenger side seat recliner in your 68 911 that is slipping? How close am I?

Regards

Jim
    69T...build date 4/68... driver's side... I would characterize it more as... it lets go and catches after about an inch in seat back travel

Well, I was pretty close.................... You are ready for a replacement hinge.
    Used ones can be had from many sources including a Junk Yard in Northern California. If you have really, really good chrome, it will be hard to find one in as good cosmetic condition but they will not let you down like yours.

Regards

Jim
    PS: Your hinge was used in 1969 and 1970 year model cars.

thanks, my thinking was to source a replacement as well,

It may just need a good cleaning, I've saved a few that were so cruddy that the toothed gear did not return all the way to lock with its mate.
    inspect, clean, disassemble if needed...same witht the cable unless rusty or broken (rare) it all goes back together and operates like a charm with all its original parts.
    only if the gear is eaten up would I consider finding another and a driver is a bit hard to find, I have a box full of hinges in great shape even an NOS one but without a matching driver I cant pair them to seat units I have.
    if the chrome is still good fix it, just about everything is repairable on our early cars
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128