Thread: Engine Oil level in the Reservoir

Engine Oil level in the Reservoir

I searched the Technical Info threads for this answer without success.

What quantity of oil is represented between the the minimum and maximum level indicators on the oil reservoir dipstick?
    If the dipstick indicates the oil level is at the minimum mark, how much oil is need to bring it up to just below the maximum mark?

I don't know if this varies from MY to MY. My point of reference is a stock '73 2.4 MFI 'E' engine WITHOUT an optional oil cooling device.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Regis turd ab user
    Well, if your dipstick is reading at the low mark why not start by adding a half quart and see where that gets you. As I recall with my dipstick experience (cars that is) most read 1 qt/ltr between add and full.

+1 it's about 1 Ltr from the bottom mark to the top.

Ensure it's measured on level ground, once the car is at operating temp, or you'll overfill it. ( but you probably knew that)

Most seem to like running around the half way mark.
    Tony

member #1515
    I seem to recall a spec somewhere saying 2L between marks. But just add a little at a time while running until it's at halfway. I try to never run at the top line.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by 911s55 View Post
    Well, if your dipstick is reading at the low mark why not start by adding a half quart and see where that gets you. As I recall with my dipstick experience (cars that is) most read 1 qt/ltr between add and full.
    I add a little at a time, usually 1/3 - 1/2 quart at a time till it gets near the 'max' mark. When I first got the car many years ago I did the common newbe error of over filling which do not want to do ever again. Sometimes when I top it off, it takes 1/2 quart, 1 quart, or 1.5 quarts.

Quote Originally Posted by classic View Post
    +1 it's about 1 Ltr from the bottom mark to the top.

Ensure it's measured on level ground, once the car is at operating temp, or you'll overfill it. ( but you probably knew that)

Most seem to like running around the half way mark.
    That's probably is a good practice, stay around halfway between the 'min' and 'max' marks.

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    I seem to recall a spec somewhere saying 2L between marks. But just add a little at a time while running until it's at halfway. I try to never run at the top line.
    I did some further research and found the answer in two sources:

Referencing the Porsche 72, 73 Models 911 Technical specifications pocket guide (1st Edition - 4220.20 1 M IX/78) - page 104:
    "For Model 73, '911 E' (oil tank in right rear wheel housing), Dipstick mark min./max. is 8.5/10.5 liters"

I assume that is to mean 2 liters difference between 'min' and 'max' markings on the dipstick.

Then from the Owner's Manual: (for "Filling Capacitities" - page 108)
    "With manual gear box:
    911 T, 911 E, 911 S: approx. 2.91 US gals. (2.42 Imp. gals.)
    911 S: approx. 3.56 US gals. (2.96 Imp. gals.) (with optional oil cooling device)
    Difference between min. and max. marks on the dipstick: approx. 2.1 US qts. (1.7 Imp. qts.)"

So right there in the manual was the statement I was looking for - duh!
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

member #1515
    It used to be on the sticker on the engine bay.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I made the mistake of filling my '91 to the max line. All was good until I goosed it from a stop light making a sharp left hand turn. I laid a smoke screen for the next mile. NEVER AGAIN! No long lasting harm, but I had the intake system cleaned out for a precaution.
    Jerry G

"Confidence is the feeling you
    have before you fully understand
    the situation."