Thread: 73 S - engine wiring question please

73 S - engine wiring question please

Referencing the attached photos, may I please ask for clarification of several connection points for the engine harness that runs from the CDI box to the distributor and coil. I have a wiring diagram but would still like confirmation/direction. I understand the CDI box end and those three connections - my question pertains to the four connections at the opposite end of the harness and the four connections shown in that photo. The connection with the green tape was plugged into the purple/black wife female connector that I believe plugs into the male/spade connector at the distributor body. The ring connection to the left of that would seem to connect where there is a threaded hole in the engine fan housing...just not sure, but I don't see any other possible connection point within that proximity. Lastly, the two connections at the right end of the harness...the blue/yellow wire with a boot and the ring connection. Blue/yellow would seem to be the + connection on the distributor coil, but unsure of the ring connector. Thanks to all.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    the left ring connector goes to chain cover stud, 6mm, its a ground. The wire with the green tape, piggy backs to black and purple in main harness to distributor spade. The small wire with boot goes to coil + side. and ring connector on the right goes to coil mount, 8mm stud on fan housing, on the shroud side, another ground. Gled

A= Achtung= 350V CDI output BLUE/YELLOW wire, see how this continues in the harness to the terminal with the boot? And that's the point of the boot!

B= Batterie = +12V switched RED from ignition switch, this is the male faston with the boot that comes out of the harness a few inches from the plug.

C= Contact = points terminal, BLACK wire to the 90 degree female faston on the side of the distributor

D= Ground-- these are actually wire braids inside the PVC, female straight faston to the 6.3mm tab on the side of the CDI box, then the ground with the large ring to the fan shroud as Gordon says, and the one with the small ring to a chainbox stud.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911_...971_Part-2.jpg
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thank you both for the prompt and informative replies...off to the garage to connect a few more bits!