Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheel and tire size question?

wheel and tire size question?

Hello from Ontario, Canada... quick question regarding wheel and tire sizes.

I own a 1966 911 (303565), currently there is a set of cookie cutter wheels on the car with older Pirelli 195/60 R 15's on the front and 205/60 R 15's on the rear.

I would like to replace the wheels with a set of Fuchs, I'm considering a set but they are 16 x 6's, will these fit on my car?

Any advice also appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Mike

16 X 6 fuchs with 205 X 55 X 16 tires will make a nice combo for your car. My favorite choice for a narrow bodied 911.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    16 X 6 fuchs with 205 X 55 X 16 tires will make a nice combo for your car. My favorite choice for a narrow bodied 911.

Regards

Jim
    Thanks Jim, I was hoping they would be a good fit but wasn't certain, I appreciate your input.
    Regards,
    Mike

Here are two wheels one a 15 one a 16 done to look close to a 15. These 16's are on my 67. I have 195/55/16's on the front and 205/55/16's on the rear. Each car is a little different. A 205/55/16 is a tight fit on the front of my car.
    There are more high performance tire choices with 16's.
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 08-15-2014 at 06:56 PM.

I'd go with 15s on an SWB.

I do appreciate all the input but want to be sure I understand... the 16 x 6's will fit, however, there may be an issue with 205's on the front?

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I'd go with 15s on an SWB.
    Is your suggestion based on fitment concern and if so can you share with me what your concern is?

I'm close to making a purchase decision and would like to know if the 16 x 6's will fit, realizing of course that I can choose the size of tires later.

Thanks again,
    Mike

205 tires on 16" rims will fit but they will rub on the inner fender when you make a U-turn. Not a big deal but will rub all your undercoating off in the rubbed area.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageExcellen View Post
    205 tires on 16" rims will fit but they will rub on the inner fender when you make a U-turn. Not a big deal but will rub all your undercoating off in the rubbed area.
    Hello Mark, thanks for your input, a previous owner put flared fenders on the car, so for the short term I hope it won't be too much of an issue if I were to put 205's on the car (front), although I would consider a smaller tire like a 195 hoping that would be OK?

The long term plan is to take the car back to original and will either go with steelies in the correct size or keep the Fuchs with a smaller tire size, at least for the front?

Thanks again,
    Mike

Everyone suggests to use the biggest tire you possibly can, which makes sense in a racing context.

My advice is to use the smallest tire you can, particularly for an SWB car.

Right now I am using 15x6 with the Pfake Pfuchs Pfinish* with Vredestein Sprint Classic 185/70-15 tires. They work great but they are heavy, even with the wheels weighing 12 pounds, it still feels like there is some mass to accelerate and decelerate.

Why not try the steel 4-1/2s with some 165 Vredestein just to see how you like it? Leave the hubcaps off for that Vic Elford look. It's more fun to drive a slow car fast. . .

*the "Pfake Pfuchs Pfinish" involves making flat six fuchs look like deep 4-1/2s. . .

Then. . . with big heavy and useless 205s. . .

today. . . with 185s, still a bit much. . . what I really want is a set of 4-1/2 Fuchs . . .

1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Porsche Classic (Germany) website has two downloadable PDFs listing their recommendations. Attached below. I find the list way short of all the possible replacement tire options out there.

This "Love for the Porsche" article provides an overview of the two Porsche Classic documents.

Name:  911 tyres.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  55.9 KB
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548