Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Reference: 380MM steering wheels - THE TRUTH

Anyone know the grip size of a stock 804 10? Looks like they are generally available to buy. So if I wanted to put just a leather layer on it, what size grip might it end up being? I don't want the full thicker version.

Also, it looks like 804 10 is rubber, while the 804 11 is plastic/ebonite. So I would not have to put the foam/cotton layers on the 804 10, but should on the 804 11. Is that right?

Also, on the dreaded 809 00 - foam, faux leather, if one takes off the faux leather, is it possible to recover and make a decent steering wheel out of it? Or does the foam just disintegrate and not leave anything to cover?

[Update: I learned the faux leather is molded in with the foam. Yes, the whole thing can be covered. So I guess it would be no larger than a rubber or plastic/ebonite rim that gets covered, assuming they all start at the same grip size. Except cushier.]

[Update 2: I think I just found a 914/6 original leather wheel, so I won't need to recover a non-leather one. Info pending.]
    Last edited by Jay Laifman; 01-23-2023 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
    Anyone know the grip size of a stock 804 10? Looks like they are generally available to buy. So if I wanted to put just a leather layer on it, what size grip might it end up being? I don't want the full thicker version.

Also, it looks like 804 10 is rubber, while the 804 11 is plastic/ebonite. So I would not have to put the foam/cotton layers on the 804 10, but should on the 804 11. Is that right?

Also, on the dreaded 809 00 - foam, faux leather, if one takes off the faux leather, is it possible to recover and make a decent steering wheel out of it? Or does the foam just disintegrate and not leave anything to cover?

[Update: I learned the faux leather is molded in with the foam. Yes, the whole thing can be covered. So I guess it would be no larger than a rubber or plastic/ebonite rim that gets covered, assuming they all start at the same grip size. Except cushier.]

[Update 2: I think I just found a 914/6 original leather wheel, so I won't need to recover a non-leather one. Info pending.]
    Jay

Just remember that a wheel ending in 10 has a, 73 and earlier, 911/914/6 appropriate hub. A wheel ending with an “11” does not.

Hi Jim,

I was just looking at a part on my 912 the other day, thinking that I got the part from you! It's a shame I can't just call you tomorrow and have you send down a 380 mm wheel - or send that 2.0L engine I was last looking for.

On the 10 and 11, maybe I missed something. I thought I read on this crazy long thread that with the 11, it works fine - you just need to drill and countersink the back for the turn signal cancellation piece to fit on properly. Is that not true?

I have another question. I see various opinions on if any of the 914 wheels are dished less than the 911 wheel. I see that some say that it is not, and it's just that the rim is closer in on the slope. But what I have not seen answered is if the RS or RSR that used the 914 wheels used a spacer or not. Anyone know? I've scoured the internet for pictures. It's hard to get a good angle. But it sure looks to me like none of them have a spacer.

I also noticed that almost none of them appear to have the factory leather on them anymore.

All 914 wheels have the same "dished" as a 911 wheel. The 914 wheel on a SWB car will be too close the dash and mostly likely will require a spacer. I used to sell a lot of extended hub wheels. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (167.7 KB, 123 views)
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 01-24-2023 at 10:16 AM.

Ah. SWB distinction. Thanks!

I read this thread a couple weeks ago and bought two wheels. An 804.10 and an 805.10. There was a comment on this thread about the 804.10 being too close to the dash and it needing a spacer. They are both close to the dash, no need for a spacer (unless you want one). The 804.10 is just a few screws to remove the plastic and it's a direct bolt up. Thanks for the info Jim, and others. I'm sure it was already mentioned, but the 804.10 is a hard plastic (ebonite). The 805.10 is leather with a rubber base under it. I'd like to wrap the ebonite wheel, but I think the leather would slide around..I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon911 View Post
    I read this thread a couple weeks ago and bought two wheels. An 804.10 and an 805.10. There was a comment on this thread about the 804.10 being too close to the dash and it needing a spacer. They are both close to the dash, no need for a spacer (unless you want one). The 804.10 is just a few screws to remove the plastic and it's a direct bolt up. Thanks for the info Jim, and others. I'm sure it was already mentioned, but the 804.10 is a hard plastic (ebonite). The 805.10 is leather with a rubber base under it. I'd like to wrap the ebonite wheel, but I think the leather would slide around..I'm not sure.
    Mike,

Stop second-guessing, you made the right choice to go with the 805.10

/Ravi
    ------------------------------------------------
    1971 911T/2.45 engine spec Coupe / Gold Metallic on Black
    1995 911 C2 / Guards Red on Cashmere Beige (Sold)