Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valuation for a 1972 911T matching numbers

Valuation for a 1972 911T matching numbers

Thank you for the information! I will be insuring the car for a greater value....
    Last edited by coldstart; 08-20-2014 at 04:32 AM.

Thank you for all the help! I have a better idea of the car's value now and am enjoying driving it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by coldstart; 08-20-2014 at 04:34 AM.

I had some additional photos from my phone. Note that I have since added the rubber trim for the engine compartment edge which is not shown in the photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by coldstart; 08-13-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Hagerty's is the go-to value site these days. It's not perfect but it's a start. The price range is tremendous. Junk is at About $14,000 and the perfect car is $70,000. You'll have to decide where your car falls on the continuum.

Richard Newton
    Historic Race Car Images

Thanks for the Hagerty site.

There are also significant differences for:

1. options (S-trim, Fuchs, AC, etc.);
    2. color (some people love black cars, some prefer wild colors);
    3. modifications (mainly reversable engine mods in my car);
    4. records and maintenance; and
    5. condition, condition, condition.

I didn't include the fact that all the glass is in great condition as is the majority of the exterior trim. I would like a new windshield but I can't find one without the green tint band at the top.
    Last edited by coldstart; 08-20-2014 at 04:35 AM.

No MFI....
    -Jim

'72 911T
    '02 B5 S4 (RS4 Clone)
    '12 997.2 Turbo Manual
    '19 B9 RS5 (Daily)

The new Porsche Buyer's Guide from Excellence magazine is out. Your matching numbers 1972T is likely Excellent condition and worth $70,000+. Good condition is $50,000 and Acceptable is $40,000. Excellent condition is defined by them as: "Very clean but not concours quality; could be well-maintained, older restoration or very good original condition. Matching numbers."

You could sell overseas for more.
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

FWIW, I think you are going about your research the proper way. Prospective buyers will pick up on the fact that you are open, full of background on the car, and are being realistic.

I agree with a previous comment that the lack of MFI detracts, perhaps more than one might initially realize when trying to market the car.

I think you are insured for what the replacement cost on your car would be. Yet the market might not match that and might be a bit lower from a demand standpoint (T Targa lacking its MFI).

Looks like you have a nice car to enjoy further or sell on. Either way good luck with your decision!
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Regis turd ab user
    At Mecum Seattle in June a '72 T targa with air sold for $57,000 plus premium. Seems to be in the ballpark for your car as well.

I personally just bumped my replacement value insurance on my '71 T targa with a non correct motor to a conservative $40k. To me replacement value should be higher than asking/selling price accounting for availability or lack of same car for sale at the time of loss.

http://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?...=WA0614-185546

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 911s55 View Post
    At Mecum Seattle in June a '72 T targa with air sold for $57,000 plus premium. Seems to be in the ballpark for your car as well.
    http://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?...=WA0614-185546
    +1
    The good news is that 2.4T MFI is the easiest and cheapest system to procure.
    Still about $7k with the Weber credit.

Pretty car. Good luck.