Thread: Price check on an unstamped 7R case?

Price check on an unstamped 7R case?

I have an unstamped factory replacement 7R case. Casting number 901.101.102.7R

Linebored, shuffle pinned, boat tailed, case savers, set up for a 930 oil pump - all claimed to have been done by German Precision and Ollie's according to the previous owner.

Unfortunately, it has a crack in one of the webbings for the journals - see attached photo

It's for sale but I have no idea of its value.
    Can anyone help me out with that?

I have more photos that can be sent directly, if someone is interested in seeing them.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Have you asked a machine shop if/how they would repair it? Generally, an unstamped 7R is fairly valuable to someone missing their car's original engine, as an unstamped case is better than an incorrect # engine. The machine work, if verifiable, adds value, but any buyer is likely to re line bore, as it's just prudent, and checking takes 80% of the effort of bore cleanup.

I don't know enough about welding magnesium, but would think the case would have a potential failure point even if repaired. Seems an odd spot for a crack...

Good luck.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Seems an odd spot for a crack...
    Actually very common on race motors.

I've run sandcast aluminum cases this way for a hundred hours but would be a little paranoid about a mag one.

http://www.locknstitch.com/metal_stitching.htm

But this area might be toot hin for that...

From a mechanical point of view, it is surprising to see such a crack in this polished area. That gives an idea of the stress level!