Thread: Cookie cutter correct color?

Cookie cutter correct color?

Can someone tell me the "correct" silver for '73 ATS 6 x 15 "cookie cutter" wheels. I think these were painted when new (the set I have now is bare aluminum). I recall that the color was sort of a whitish silver, which matched well the anodized center caps quite well. A PPG paint code would really make my day.
    Thanks for any advice on refinishing these.
    DG

Its a matt dull silver finish .. I just took this shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I recently refurbished a set of 12/72 Cookie Cutters to use with winter tyres…..we used a matting agent to tone down the silver …

…good to see how my 2.4E would have originally looked when it left the factory….

Cheers,

Thank you w00t and Darren. Those wheels all look very great, Gives me a good idea what to shoot for. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've always thought those early cookie cutters looked nice on the cars. If anybody out there has a PPG number, I'm all ears.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Thumbs up Cookie Cutters Rule!

I love the Cookie Cutters! They are not correct for my cars but I bought a set anyway as a backup to use while the Fuchs get refurbished!

Apparently they came in different colors (later in the 70's?) too:

Name:  Cookie Cutter.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  53.7 KB
    Member No. 2861
    @p911r on Instagram

An old thread but worth commenting on as I’m just restoring a euro 73E and there is very little info regarding the early unpopular ATS rims.
    The multi colour rims in the 74’ brochure photo were actually done using the small 66mm centre hole rims from 73’.
    The early original finishes were anodized and not painted. You will never fully replicate the iridescent metallic glow as the rims were when new using paint. You will always see the extra thickness of paint.

But if you choose to paint them a very close colour match is using an early 80’s Ford silver metallic code 1G in single stage and use a white primer base. Spray the top coat as thin as possible. This colour is actually a dead nuts match for phone dials and other vw/Audi rims.
    Photo attached of an early ATS 10/72 still with its factory installed tire and weights together with the Ford paint chip.

The blotches in the rim were battery acid drops.

Best, Robert
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Quote Originally Posted by glaverbel911 View Post
    The early original finishes were anodized and not painted.
    Are you sure about that, Robert? I spent 20+ years doing in the tire sales business, and worked on plenty of cookie cutters back in the late '70s and can't recall seeing any that were anodized.

But that Ford color sure looks good for most any German cast wheel.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Can cast alloy be anodised at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Are you sure about that, Robert? I spent 20+ years doing in the tire sales business, and worked on plenty of cookie cutters back in the late '70s and can't recall seeing any that were anodized.

But that Ford color sure looks good for most any German cast wheel.
    They 100% not painted.
    There is nothing their to scratch away and Where battery acid has touch this particular rim it has only caused corrosion and there is no corrosion festering away under a layer of paint that is lifting off in flakes.

Yes cast can be anodized but the material must be of good quality.

I also thought perhaps they may have been dipped into alodine or an iridite bath which is an aluminum protection and is more cost effective than anodizing but the colour shades Porsche offered are not possible with those baths.
    Another thought possibly is a silver wash but does not weather well.

Up close of my 10/72 rim still with original weights and cn36. The spots are corrosion and no paint chips.

Btw. The ford paint is nearly a dead match up for steel rims as well.
    Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß