Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Found some good red bordered decals

I agree entirely Frank... I was disappointed with the ones I got from Canford and Car Bone... haven't tried Aase yet...

Sanford seemed like the right material in terms of thickness (thin-ness of the foil) but their fonts are slightly off... Car Bone are not the right thickness and there are some font related issues too...

I know I'm being picky, but I have the originals to compare them too... problem was the OP removed them somewhat carelessly and they are bent... have tried squashing them in a press for a period, but it wasn't such a success... I'll take some photos and post them...

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Sorry; is it too much to ask to have a sticker made with the correct font, spacing and artwork? Current offerings are so close yet so far.

Currently searching for Solex air filter stickers and as far as I can tell no one has nailed it.

As far as material, after looking at several original stickers I'm not so sure that it should be "thin metal" rather than foil? (Always thought foil was thin metal...) It has to be thin enough to "wrap" around the radius of the snorkel.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

I doubt if Aase makes their own. We need to find out who actually makes these stickers. I suspect that they may all be using the same supplier. That's just a thought. The market for these stickers has to be very small.

Maybe Car Bone will get the font correct on the next batch. Maybe. Right now it seems as if the AASE stickers may be the best choice. At least the most accurate choice.

Richard Newton
    Last edited by Richardnew; 04-17-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    I doubt if Aase makes their own. We need to find out who actually makes these stickers.
    Richard,
    Why is it so hard to believe that AASE may be contracting to have their own made? And why try to go behind their back if "someone" else is making them? Tell them the problem and give them a chance to fix it/have it fixed.

Doing some kind of end-around sounds a little weaselly to me.

Measured some OE stickers I have. They are between .005" to .0065". .005" would be .125MM. How does this compare to the Car-Bone stickers?
    Bob B

Does everyone agree that the Car bone stickers are accurate?
    On the Bendix decal is written "luftfhatt".
    Is the correct german word "luftfhart"?
    Name:  carbone_porsche_bendix_4-292x311.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  28.4 KB
    Last edited by fgmec; 04-17-2016 at 06:36 AM. Reason: missed 2 "f"

Frank,

I wasn't even critical of AASE. I buy a lot of parts from them. They're one of my top suppliers.

In the parts business a number of suppliers will often band together to have an item manufactured. This lowers the per unit cost. That's just smart business. We have a lot of smart people in the Porsche parts business. I assume that some of them work together to have certain items manufactured.

I never said AASE were a bunch of weasels. They're far from that.

I've always felt that AASE was one of the best parts operations going. I think I'll try the AASE stickers. None of my friends will notice the differences we're discussing here.

Richard Newton
    Last edited by Richardnew; 04-17-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    Frank,

I wasn't even critical of AASE.

I never said AASE were a bunch of weasels. They're far from that.

I've always felt that AASE was one of the best parts operations going.

Richard Newton
    Apparently I miscommunicated; it wasn't AASE that I was calling the weasel.

Correct wording is:

Luftfahrt

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fgmec View Post
    On the Bendix decal is written "lufthatt".
    Is the correct german word "lufthart"?
    Name:  carbone_porsche_bendix_4-292x311.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  28.4 KB
    Yes, "Luftfahrt" is "aviation" as is done on Stoddard's sticker:

Name:  nla-701-017-00_copy.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  83.1 KB

One problem I noticed on Aase's snorkel sticker is that they always use a period "." for a decimal point but the original sticker and Car-Bone's sticker correctly use a comma "," for the metric measurement and a "." for the English/Imperial measurement.

There's an obvious reason for the font's being a little off today. I'm sure people are using computer fonts now but back in the 1960s the technology was a little different.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 04-18-2016 at 07:47 AM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Perhaps this has been covered elsewhere, but..... For a 67S I have been told there should be no timing decal across the fan band. Now I'm wondering about the snorkel decal vs decals on the embossed panel areas. Specifically, there are separate decals, one each for timing, then valve clearance that go at the right of the panel, but now I see a single decal showing both items for the snorkel. Would both of these combinations (i.e., the snorkel decal AND the two panel decals) be used on the 67? Seems weird if so with redundant information. Just as all of us want to, I'm trying to get this right for my particular year of car. Thanks, Jim