Thread: Recomended Machinist/shop to regrind/work on

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

Recomended Machinist/shop to regrind/work on

Could you please share your experience with a shop/machinist to work on camshafts and rocker arms (regrind / resurface) ?
    Same questions for cylinders.

Cheers
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

I do know that Porsche fanatics from all over the world send their engines for top notch machine work and parts to Competition Engineering in California. I don't know if shipping from Europe is in the cards for you. Walt Watson is the man. The web site is competitioneng.com.
    Jerry G

"Confidence is the feeling you
    have before you fully understand
    the situation."

Xavier,

We do have excellent Porsche machine shops here... Competition Engineering, Ollies, and a few more........

Also cam grinders and re-grinders... My preference is WebCam

As for recondition rockers.......... Please be aware that some cams (and re-grinds) are produced with a harder surfacing (Rockwell) then the factory cams.
    Therefore it is stipulated by these cam companies (WebCam) to only run new OE or hard-chromed racing rockers (No Reconditioned rockers) ... I had a very close call using re-condition rockers (with no history of failures with factory cams) with my WebCams.... The re-condition rockers were junk within 1500 miles..........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thank you for the references and heads-up !

X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Chuck any conatcts ? As there is no email address, not handy to call them (time differences and agenda )

BTW any feedback on TOP-END performance work ?

Cheers
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

There HAS TO BE A SHOP closer to you that can do the work. Webcam is fine for cam work.

Schrick and Schliecher are in Germany and quite capable. We old BMW MC guys use Schliecher because they make a good product.

I wouldn't send my other parts halfway around the world to get machine work I am sure be done in closer to home. Do all Europeans send their parts here? I think not.

PM "Gruen911" to see what input he has on the matter.

If you need new cylinder heads XTREME Cylinder Heads in FL is a good option. They also do head work for a LOT of engine builders.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Lightbulb

Chuck any conatcts ? As there is no email address, not handy to call them (time differences and agenda )
    Sorry, here's the contacts:

http://www.competitioneng.com/contact.htm
    http://www.olliesmachine.com/Home_Page.html
    http://www.webcamshafts.com/

HOWEVER, I completely agree with Tom...
    Especially the way the vintage track 911's are running over there, I'm sure there are excellent Porsche machine shops on the Continent......... And I see from your new thread you've already got some referrals.........

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter