Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reproduction Fuchs wheels - Quality?

Reproduction Fuchs wheels - Quality?

Can anyone give us a report on the quality of the reproduction Fuchs wheels that are for sale at a very reasonable price? How do they visually compare to the originals? FYI, I spent the better part of a year collecting a matching set of 3.5X16 inch wheels for my '55 project and now see a link to reproductions. I know, the concours judges will call them out, but how about the everyday viewer? Any thoughts?
    Last edited by jerryg; 08-23-2014 at 04:27 PM.
    Jerry G

"Confidence is the feeling you
    have before you fully understand
    the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    Can anyone give us a report on the quality of the reproduction Fuchs wheels that are for sale at a very reasonable price? How do they visually compare to the originals? FYI, I spent the better part of a year collecting a matching set of 3.5X16 inch wheels for my '55 project and now see a link to reproductions. I know, they concours judges will call them out, but how about the everyday viewer? Any thoughts?
    If you're looking for a standard size, why would you not go with forged originals as they are so readily available and far and away ahead of the quality of the gravity cast replicas?

Just my .02

Mark
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

I understand the issue. But with sellers beginning to seek insane prices for original Fuchs, other than the realitively rare 4.5 inch ones, my question still stands. How do the replicas stand up when compared to the originals? Do they appear to be similar when standing side by side? My issue is that I have four 5.5X15 original Fuchs and am looking for a 5th at a realistic price for the spare for my 911 S project.
    Jerry G

the situation."

I guess it's hard to understand why you would try to save a couple of hundred bucks while restoring a 911S?

If you, or anyone else out there, has a 5.5X15 inch Fuchs in decent shape for "a couple of hundred bucks," please let me know. A number of years ago I was working on my 1957 Chevy pickup I was restoring and needed a new fender. There was a "car lot" just outside of Fresno with hundreds of vintage cars and trucks. I drove up and talked to the owner who was setting in a chair straightening the fins on a radiator and told him what I was looking for. He responded: "Not anything for sale. I'm waiting for the Japanese to come." Years later the car/trucks were still there and the guy had died. No Japanese ever showed up. The guy died "Looking for Mr Goodbar." (True story, but an analogy to this issue.) Just because one guy advertises a part or car for sale at a unreasonably high price, that should not mean that is what the market should bear for everyone else's part or car. By the way, do you have the Fuchs wheel, gsjohnson, for a "a couple of hundred bucks?" If so, I would love to buy it.
    Jerry G

the situation."

I think if you go onto the Pelican Parts website under 911 Techical page buried in the archives are a few stories of how some of these reproduction Fuchs fail when subject to impact. I recall seeing pictures of wheels with cracks following pothole impacts. I believe that the Fuchs tend to yield rather than fracture. More recent wheels might be of better quality but back in the day when guys were putting fake Fuchs on Cal-Look Bugs the quality was suspect.

I think what was meant here is that for an 'incremental amount' of money you can have the genuine, and safe, article. Your car, and your safety, are probably worth it.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

OK, I'll put my neck on the line. The only replica in original sizes worth its salt is the Braid. I think they run around $600 for a 15x5.5 at the Bird. The most common ones seen on Bug sites are shockers. They are gravity cast as the volumes are so low they don't justify setting up for pressure casting. I personally would not drive a car running gravity cast wheels.

As it happens, I have a 15x5.5 original (with an 8/69 date stamp for what that may be worth). It's yours jerryg for $(US)320 plus shipping if you want it. I'm in NZ but happy to bring it as baggage when I go to Los Angeles in October - you work out how to get it to your place or a wheel guy from there…it will need refurbishing.

Feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Thanks, gents, for the information regarding replicas. PM sent, Mark.
    Jerry G

the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by 91133 View Post
    It's yours jerryg for $(US)320 plus shipping if you want it. I'm in NZ but happy to bring it as baggage when I go to Los Angeles in October - you work out how to get it to your place or a wheel guy from there…it will need refurbishing.

Feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
    Mark

Now that's a good bloke!! The kind of 'sportsmanship' that used to be common in this hobby, sadly lacking these days. Gdonya!!
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"