Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporto Shift Linkage Adjustment

Sporto Shift Linkage Adjustment

Hi fellow 911ers,
    I am new to this forum and Porsches all together. I was referred here from the Pelican people
    Last year I purchased a 73 Sporto 911T-V RoW and been fixing it up. Nothing major just needs TLC.

I wanted to run this by you so to give me some advice on what I could do to get the gear shifting smooth.
    Originally the shifter was very loose .... so I found the ball cup bushing missing on the shifter. When I installed a new cup I couldn't completely tighten the 10mm bolts on the shift rod support bracket because it would prevent me to shift gears completely. Tightening the 10mm bolts would render the shifter impossible to use. (It would be binding while shifting)
    Can the complete gear shift rod have been rotated 180 deg ..... would this fix this problem?

The other issue I have is that Park, Reverse, 1st and 2nd works fine but I'm having issues getting into 3rd and 4th. (No gear grinding just positioning the shift)
    This happened when the ball cup was installed.

Would there be a step by step procedure on how to adjust the shift of a Sportomatic transmission? (905/21 to be more exact)
    They have one for the 915 tranny ... just wondering how to go about it.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Do the 10mm bolts look original if they are to long they can push down on the shift rod.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

You brought up a good point.
    I took a look at what was installed and they are not. The part list calls for M6x10mm and I have M6x12mm plus a 1mm flat washer was installed instead of a spring washer. I assumed they were originals.
    I think you may have found my hiccup.
    Thanks
    Daniel
    73 Sporto 911T-V RoW

You may not have the ball cup fully seated on the ball of the shift lever.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The cup did sort of snap in the shift ball and was pivoting fine.
    Unless the actual cup is not seated properly on the shift rod head when I tighten the bolts?

The 3) 13mm bolts tighten up fine its the 2) 10mm that I can't torque them.
    Daniel
    73 Sporto 911T-V RoW

I think I found the issue.
    I had mentioned that the ball cup bushing was originally missing right?
    Well the problem is in the cup. It does not seat properly on the shift rod head because bits and pieces from the old bushing were nicely molded inside.
    I didn't take note how deep it was with the new cup bushing in.
    I dug inside with a screwdriver and chunks of the old bushing was coming out.

Thanks for brainstorming with me.
    Daniel
    73 Sporto 911T-V RoW

Banned
    The car is missing the 915.

That's your problem.

Don't mind Mr. Beck, he is just jealous.
    There is what I want, there is what I can find, and then there is what I can afford...

I do like that extra pedal control ...... but keeping your hand on the stick, reving the engine and releasing the knob could be as exciting. Don't know how long the tranny will last.
    It did happen to me once by mistake.

On the subject of trannys ..... has anyone taken a 905 or 925, added a clutch pedal and cabled a linkage to the diaphragm rod?
    Just a thought.

The story was:
    When I purchased the vehicle the micro switch on the shift had bent contacts and was not aligned / centered properly intermittently preventing the actuator to engage on shifting. I had thought of adding a momentary button on the shift knob to fix this issue ..... but with patients I ended up fixing the micro switch.

Cheers
    Daniel
    73 Sporto 911T-V RoW

Good for you,,,,,it's not politically correct around here,,,,,but I'm a sporto lover also!!!My meeting night is Monday,whats yours??
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.