Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stepchild midyear getting some serious love

Stepchild midyear getting some serious love

Looks like midyears are finally getting some respect. I've always loved these cars and found them to be way undervalued. They're noticeably lighter and feel much like an early car. Especially the steering, much lighter than the SC's that came later. If you've never driven one I highly recommend that you try one out. Plus I personally prefer the narrow body. Of course everyone knows the horror stories about the dreaded 2.7. The real issue with these engines was with the thermal reactors. After all, when was the last time you heard about someone complaining about their crappy 2.7 Carrera RS engine? Same 7R case as far as I know, experts feel free to correct me. I just sold my 77 911S with 268k miles on the clock, on the original engine. Rebuilt of course but still, not too shabby for a crap engine right?

I finally gave in to my buddy Joey's pleas to buy the car. I'll miss her but he's giving her some well deserved love. Leave it to Joey, in less than two days the thing is already getting attention:

http://ferdi.rs/1n7LBvr

Any other fans of the midyears?
    1976 Turbo Carrera

I'm with you in a big way... I have several and the more I buy the more I love them. Great cars.

I agree with what is being said but they are comparable in value to an SC or Carrera these days. I had a 77 coupe with a euro 3.2 in it I sold last year, I can't remember why the hell I did that, it was a terrific car.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

The car I ALMOST bought before I got my '72 was a '74 911 Targa in Gulf Blue. It was gorgeous.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

My old 77 is now reborn. Another one that got away! Joey, I want my car back please...

More pics here on John Glynn's blog:

http://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/por...rey-california
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1976 Turbo Carrera

I know I'm in the minority but I love the retro interior.

Next on my shopping list is a 1977 930 Turbo 3.0 or Carrera 3.0 or both.

P.S. The Minerva Blue, is one of the best colors for that period.

Ferdinand-Porsche-911-Minerva-Blue-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by craighardy View Post
    My old 77 is now reborn. Another one that got away! Joey, I want my car back please...

More pics here on John Glynn's blog:

http://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/por...rey-california
    Last edited by Michael Meldrum; 08-19-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added pic
    Member No. 2861
    @p911r on Instagram

Consider me a fan too. I had a low mileage, all original 75S in Light Yellow that was an absolute peach. Felt so much like an early car, but just a little more refined. I loved that car and hated to part with it. It is now in Austria.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Yeah mid years! Here is my '75 in original Mexico Blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

Mexico Blue... another one of the period colors in very high demand! nice

Quote Originally Posted by davewadd View Post
    Yeah mid years! Here is my '75 in original Mexico Blue.
    Member No. 2861
    @p911r on Instagram

I would be interested in purchasing one in an unusual color if anyone has one they are thinking of selling. I had a 75 back in the early 80s but it had the original engine with thermals and just didn't have any gt up and go. So a proper 2.7 with upgrades must make them come alive as the weight is so close to the longhoods.

I am a big fan of driving and the occasional track day so I probably wouldn't be the right custodian of a garage queen but you never know, I look after my cars.

PM or email 90210atmisterbeverlyhillsdotcom