Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan delivery Porsche, earlier or later than 65-73

Japan delivery Porsche, earlier or later than 65-73

Hi,
    We are a few guys trying to help each other finding out more about our Japan delivery cars and the history of Porsche in Japan in general.

Because I have a 2,2S, info about the early cars is of course the most relevant for me. Here is the thread about pre-74 Porsche in Japan:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...901#post756901

But a couple times a year I get an email or PM from someone around the world with questions about later Japan delivered cars. Much of the info we seek is the same, and by cooperating we all learn a bit more.

Because this is a pre-74 forum, I can´t post about older or newer cars in general info, so thought this was the best place to put a thread like this.

If you own one of these cars and have some questions, please post it here or share some of your knowledge.

Cheers, Radmund
    Last edited by Schiefer; 09-06-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

We're there any Asian market cars 65-73?
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03 View Post
    Japan was an important marked for Porsche from the start. As far as I know also some cars delivered to other places like Thailand and Hong Kong. I will start a separate thread about 65-73 with the info I have so far and pics of some of the cars delivered new in Japan.
    Last edited by Schiefer; 09-06-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

Mine is a "later" model , a LHD '78 SC , and pretty much as delivered , matching numbers etc.
    I have also struggled to obtain information , though believe with $$$ certain authorities may get you into the building.
    Here is some information I discovered early on , which perhaps explains some of our difficulties. Notwithstanding the language barrier!

" Brand new is good, but used is not... In Japan, there is a serious stigma attached to using or acquiring anything "used". Originating from ancient beliefs, it still affects all commodities, such as home appliances, automobiles, even houses.

For instance, purchasing a new home in Japan will invariably results in its value shrinking by about 30% within the first 5 years. Value will be considered equivalent to zero within 15 to 20 years.

Even with the current economic slow down and a newly acquired Japanese taste for bargains, the large majority of vehicles is still acquired new from a dealer, by trading in the current one (usually at shaken renewal time, after 3, 5, 7 or 9 years).

Private car sales are non existent in Japan, because technically impossible. From one owner to the next, the vehicle MUST pass through the hands of an authorised dealer for ownership transfer. NOTE: Genuine Service Books are almost never available with Japanese imports as practically no one in Japan bothers writing in them nor have use for them. This is because maintenance is always done by the dealer and private sales do not exist. Often the owner will dispose of anything that can trace the car back to him or her so he/she is not bombarded with more junk mail or telesales."

And here is my amphibious vehicle for purposes of illustrating this thread.

A nicely illustrated potted history of Porsche (with ads) written in Japanese ; I'm pretty sure these cover other years also, including earlier models.

I think you should have this moved to the 911 section if it's '65-73 cars your researching.

I have no (nor have I heard of any) Japan delivery spec RHD '65's on my RHD Register if this is a starting point for you.

Sheers

SK
    '65 901 SA '119' - 1st RHD Customer Delivered 911 Worldwide; 5710 Stone Grey/Green Leatherette 3 owners from new.

'75 (Nov) 924 Group 4 Rallye. 9th o/all, 1st in class ‘79 Repco Round Australia Rally Barth/Kussmaul; 1st RHD chassis, 1st front engined Porsche to win an FIA event

‘78 928 Manual - early RHD Opalmetallic (gold) + Pasha

'98 986

‘99 996 GT3 CS M003 ex Peter Fitzgerald. Falken livery. 2nd 2000, 3rd in 2001 Aus Nations Cup Championsip. Last of the road registered racers

SK:

I have edited my first post to avoid confusion. The title is not the best, and should probably also be changed.

I´m not claiming anything regarding Japanese 65MY cars, RHD or LHD. I have not investigated and you are in a much better position to know. But I have always assumed the Japanese market received 911´s very early. If you have no record of any RHD cars, maybe the early customers got LHD cars?? My own is an example of this. To my surprise it was ordered as LHD by the official importer. When I bought it, I thought is was an import from the 80´s.

Rgds, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzieman View Post
    Mine is a "later" model , a LHD '78 SC , and pretty much as delivered , matching numbers etc.
    Hi Paul, thanks for chiming in!

What is the source for the info you posted?? If it´s not coming from someone in Japan, I think it would have been useful to have it verified by a Japanese citizen.

If possible, please post some of the pics you have from your car outside the shop in Japan. Maybe we can identify where it is? Maybe also some more pics/info about your car in case one of the previous owners finds this thread?

The "1978 Porsche" book you recommended buying is great and has some really interesting pictures! Let me know if you find other publications I need to consider buying :-)
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03 View Post
    yes. 911 sold as early as 1965
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...rsche-in-Japan
    Registry member No.773

Mitsuwa Motors LTD

I will update this post with more info, but at the moment double checking some details.

http://www.mizwa-motors.co.jp/mizwa-top.html
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender