Thread: A little Swiss cheese with your bologna

A little Swiss cheese with your bologna

Consolidated everything here: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-the-aftermath Made a few separate posts before I realized I should consolidate The baloney is the line I’ve been feeding my self about how smoothly this would go. The Swiss cheese is all the pinhole rust that will require replacement metal. Only caviar so far is the Hagerty price guide. Had a company called Mobil Blast Away come to Dale Erdman’s shop yesterday. We had previously removed everything would could take off and actually cut the rear quarters away. The chassis looked pretty rough but the longitudinals were in surprisingly good condition. Probably what kept the car from splitting in two when it was originally towed to the shop.

Decision was made to have everything chemically stripped that was removable. I read to many things about residual blasting material in crevices that would appear for years after blasting. Redi Strip in Allentown, Pa had closed its door for various reasons. At first I thought I would have to take everything to Ohio as it appeared to be the closest chemical stripper. Then I found Metal Strip of New England in Worcester, MassachusettsName:  8-5-14  002.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  100.2 KB

In our initial assessment of the car, it appeared that the pans, fenders, front hood, center tunnel and rear seat pans could not be saved. Doors would have to be re skinned and the front bumper was doubtful. Quarter were salvageable but rough and the front bumper was extremely rusted. Just so happened at the time of the purchase, a nice guy in Virginia was giving up on his ‘67 912 and cutting it up. Went down and purchased the fenders and front hood, since NOS was no longer available. Car was so clean that I discussed it with my body man and we decided to buy the front clip. Appears that by the time we finish with the clip, it will look like a turkey carcass five days after Thanksgiving. I have decided not to just clip the car, because that impairs the value of the Targa by essentially becoming two cars into one. Can’t use the original fender but transferring the light buckets because they have the original vin stamping. Will re stamp the hood and will divulge that upon sale. Also picked up a new front bumper and may elect to use that instead of the original.

Loaded everything that we had removed into a rented Chrysler van and headed north. Originally was going to rent a Hertz truck, but the guys at the rental company didn’t have a truck so they convinced me to use the Chrysler. If you don’t have your own truck, I highly recommend a Chrysler as opposed to a Hertz just for the sheer comfort and the XM radio. After getting lost several times I finally met up with Dan at Metal Strip of New England. Great guy. Reviewed every part and gave me a breakdown price for each piece. Took about a month and a half but everything came out as clean as a whistle and had a protective coating. That was good for up to a month after which the pieces should be primed. Dan has the ability to do an entire car and when I first arrived the had just dipped an entire Pontiac GTO. Rather poor pictures on my part but you can see the size of the tanks. My body man Dale was impressed with the final product.

Name:  Metal Strip of New England (2).jpg
Views: 888
Size:  69.5 KB

After pulling out the instruments, interior wiring, engine and transmission we were ready to blast the shell. Could have loaded it up on a truck and carted it to a facility, but I found Mobil Blast on the web. Called up and talked to Mike who was willing to come out to Allentown, Pa to do the blasting. He is located in Pawling, New York and covers NY, NJ, PA, CT and maybe as far down as Delaware. He was doing a job in Trenton close to where I live and split his day in half. Blasted a truck frame in the morning and then he rode up to Allentown. Dale had the car outside and they set right to work. Took about three hours but they cleaned up everything but the floor pan which we are going to replace anyway. 90 degree weather but Mike’s assistant Pablo donned his protective gear and had at it. Mike says they have various grits to remove different types of coating on different materials. He sells the particulate to other blasters. Also keeps his shop open on Saturdays and if you can hall it in, they will blast it there at the shop. If I got it correct, the particulate is a slurry of water and ground up glass bottles. Dale reported to me that when he cleaned up this morning the left over material was like mud/snow. Took about two hours to shovel it up but no residual damage to the shop or surrounding area. Seems to be environmentally safe.

Cleaned up the clip at the same time and you can see the chassis and the clip in the picture below. Going to take the nose panel and slam panel as well as a small portion of the bulkheads on each side from the clip and graft them on to the chassis. Probably will need to take a portion of the trunk floor as a repair panel also. Really have not decided how ro proceed with the rest and guess it is a work in progress subject to another update in the future. Obviously we will be welding new underbelly, seat pan and tunnel into the car.

Name:  blasting 8-27-14 (7).jpg
Views: 875
Size:  103.8 KB

As an aside Dale seems to be becoming the Targa Meister. The less desirable (unloved) Targa seems to be gaining a lot of adherents. Dale has my ‘67 911S, my ‘67 912, a ‘73 911S, a‘71 911 and just got in a ‘69 911T (courtesty of a purchase from Alan at Unobtainium). All are Targas although I believe Dale’s first love is still the 356's he does. Couple pictures of the shop with just the one 356 in it right now.

Name:  blasting 8-27-14 (9).jpg
Views: 883
Size:  87.7 KB

Took the engine to Bob Fox in Ambler, PA. Been working around 911's all his life. Has not yet had time to pull the engine apart. His only comment has been “that’s worth a lot of money”. Don’t know if that means what I going to pay him or if that’s the worth of a numbers matching engine. Guess I’ll eventually find out.

I would recommend each and every one of the above services (body man, chemical stripper and dry stripper) but don’t want to seem like an advertisement. If any one wants further info, please PM me and I will be happy to proved addresses and phone numbers. I will hopefully be able to continue this thread with updates from time to time.
    Last edited by doigthom; 10-30-2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Nice job so far.
    This is the light ivory '67S Targa that was sitting in the front of some yard in Central Jersey correct?

That's the one. $7,200.00 plus tow fee.

While it may be none of my business, but what is the reasoning behind re-stamping the hood? Going to be a fun resurrection to follow.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Anybody who might ultimately buy this car will want everything numbers matching. Question for a prospective seller is to divulge or not. Honesty l believe forces me to let the buyer know. It is like so many accommodations that have to be made in restoration. For example, this year dictates that in the floor pan, the dimples nearest the center tunnel did not exist. While it doesn't make Dale happy, I told him that we will have to either cut them out or flatten them out since all replacement pans have the extra dimples. Has to be pointed out but at least appearance will be correct. Seems to me that restoration means bringing it back to the condition it left the factory or as close as possble. Accordingly, we are deleting the A/C. We know from history that this was added later, although correct Delanair as used on a '67. I have two seats from my '67 912 that are in perfect condition. Should I install those since they are exactly the same as those that were in the 911, or do I have Autobahn do new upholstery. Gets into the questions of the preference for mild patina, versus bright shiny new. One thing that I will vary is to seam weld the pans as opposed to spot welding. Should add rigitity to a Targa. Temptation is to put on Koni shocks and struts. Problem is Porsche decided that Koni was too much for first Targas so installed Boge all around. Try to find replacement Boge anything for this year. Whats the best, most honest, period correct solution? Decisions, decisions.
    Last edited by doigthom; 08-29-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Two plus years later. "Wa-Hapen"?

See the opening of this thread for where to find progress. As an aside, I just topped $111,000.00 spent to date.

It sure adds up quickly. Fantastic job though
    early S registry # 2596

Thanks graemel.