Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Momo Wheel Questions

Momo Wheel Questions

Ok guys need some advice.

This Momo Jackie Ickx wheel was purchased some time ago from a member here - not the best purchase I've made here….

It was supposed to be 360mm and its 350mm.

The horn button in the ad picture was like the one on the right and it came with the one on the left which is a cheaper version and not very nice. The button in the photo is one that I bought after the event and unfortunately it does not fit!

And after arriving with black leather I pulled it out of storage the other day and it now has the lovely white patches.

I accepted the fact that it was not the advertised size, I had asked the seller to send the correct horn button from the ad a couple of times but he has not done so after 5 months or so and I'm not wasting any more time chasing him.

The other button I have purchased has a smaller diameter and is too big for the hole in the wheel. Is there any sort of adapter I can buy to make the rather button I bought work?

Also my plan for the leather is to use some leather dye to blacken the wheel again and then a leather treatment over the top. Does this sound ok and is it likely to stay permanent?

Thanks for any assistance!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the wheel. As someone who both buys and sells frequently (especially on the VW forums) I know how it feels when a deal you were excited about becomes a thorn in te side. That being said, the seller has the onus of manning up and making it right and I can almost gaurentee it'll catch up with him if he doesn't.

As for the wheel, I've used both leather and vinyl dye on steering wheels in the past that have both looked good and have withstood daily use. If I were you I'd go for it. You can't make the taste of the deal any more sour but you may be able to redeem that wheel.

That's must my .02

By the way, that horn button looks like a raid to me but I'm a newb so take my words with a grain of salt
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

There is a stamped sheet metal piece that comes with the collapsable Momo hubs which adapts the horn button to fit (assuming Momo horn button). See illustration here: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-16...series-z3.aspx

That might be what you need. As for the white, are you sure its not mildew that will clean off with leather cleaner?
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Quote Originally Posted by M_deJong View Post
    There is a stamped sheet metal piece that comes with the collapsable Momo hubs which adapts the horn button to fit (assuming Momo horn button). See illustration here: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-16...series-z3.aspx

That might be what you need. As for the white, are you sure its not mildew that will clean off with leather cleaner?
    It is pretty easy to discern who you bought the wheel from. There are very detailed pictures and description of the wheel. I would probably give the seller a pass on the size, as measurements can be different because of different interpretations of what constitutes the diameter. The horn button is a completely different issue and you were clearly a victim of a bait and switch. Naming the seller would be appropriate, as he doesn't seem willing to honor his responsibility to provide the parts in the picture. I think all of the Early911S community should be made aware of any bad apple using this forum to sell his stuff. Have you taken this up with the moderators? Probably would be a good idea to get their input before outing the seller.

Regards

Jim

You bring up a good point, how is a wheel measured? To the center of the rim or the outside of the rim?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

IMO the diameter is the overall diameter - ie to the outside of the rim
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Thanks for your input gentlemen.

Mike it's not mildew as far as I can tell. It came with a pressed steel adapter rim but it is the same inner diameter as the wheel.

Jim, as per Andy above, from my point of view a wheels diameter is measured from edge to edge - can't be that hard to get it wrong! I'm trying to practice the Buddist philosophy of forgiveness however The seller has now seen this thread and has come forward with a story of personal woe and an offer to send the correct horn button so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Lets see if it turns up……..

Cheers Guys
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Swedewerks Survivor Cars SD Swede's Avatar
    Hi Cam,
    I didn't see anyone mention this yet...the horn button is not supposed to be held in place by the steering wheel itself, at least on the Momo's I've had experience with. There is a separate "horn button retaining ring" that fits under the steering wheel, between the steering wheel and the hub. I tried to attach an image. It's the silver ring, upper right of image. The ring fits under the wheel and inside the steering wheel opening. It is slightly smaller in diameter than the steering wheel opening and is what actually holds the horn button in place. They come as a part of the hub kit when you buy it and I don't know if you can buy it by itself? Maybe...?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Andersson #2864
    Pinstriped Early 911 Club #1

Try the boys at Zuffenhaus; they have a great retaining ring that they supply with their hubs that may work.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Arnott View Post
    Thanks for your input gentlemen.

Mike it's not mildew as far as I can tell. It came with a pressed steel adapter rim but it is the same inner diameter as the wheel.

Jim, as per Andy above, from my point of view a wheels diameter is measured from edge to edge - can't be that hard to get it wrong! I'm trying to practice the Buddist philosophy of forgiveness however The seller has now seen this thread and has come forward with a story of personal woe and an offer to send the correct horn button so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Lets see if it turns up……..

Cheers Guys
    I agree about the wheel measurements but I have seen variations. A personal tale of woe is no excuse to cheat your fellow man.

Regards

Jim