Thread: Bell crank question for MFI ?

Bell crank question for MFI ?

Hello,
    I tried searching for the answer to this question on here as well as on PET, but cant seem to find a definitive answer. I'm restoring a 69 E that was converted to Zeniths. Is the bell crank shaft length the same as for carb cars as it is for MFI cars, and is the ball stud arrangement the same on the actual bell crank plate it's self? I can see that the engine tin hole for the throttle rod from the trans was elongated to run the carbs, but I cant tell if the shaft length and bell crank was just swapped from the MFI manifolds to the carb manifolds. If someone has either a photo of the bell crank for MFI as well as the shaft or spacing length in MM form the manifold to the bell crank face, that would be a huge help...Thanks for any and all advice you can give...Steve
    1969 911 E #824

Here's a pic from an original very early production '71E... very similar to a '69... hope this helps

cm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

here's one from a 69S hope this helps
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

and here is a Zenith set up...pls ignore the rubegoldberg cable, its a makeshift accelerator on my test rig
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Thanks Chuck and Richard!! The 69 S is the money shot I needed..Cheers!!
    1969 911 E #824

However I think the trans bell crank was different M.F.I. to carb, different lever arm lengths, therefore different leverage and travel. Check your parts book.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Well here's what I was able to determine from PET5 which was clear as mud. Looks like the trans bell cranks are the same from 69-71, whether carbed or MFI. All the throttle rods from trans to top of engine seem to be the same also from 69-73. Only the top bell crank at the manifold was different, based on carbs or MFI. So the MFI bell crank at the throttle body is 901.110.007.00. If anyone knows differently please chime in. Thanks for the tip on checking the trans lever...Steve
    1969 911 E #824

FWIW I have switched between mfi and carbed engines with the same trans bell crank and throttle rod. It functioned fine as I recall.S