Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fatality at Lime Rock

Vintage racing these old open wheel cars is a real dilemma, and I don't know what the answer is. I love to go to the vintage races to see these cars running wide open. There were 2 mid 30s Alfa 8C 35 Grand Prix cars in this group, as well as a bunch of Bugatti Type 35s, Blower Bentleys, etc, and Lee's 1934 MG PA special- fantastic! It is just great to see, hear, and smell these cars being driven as they were meant to be driven - fast. Putting big roll bars/cages on them would be a sin. Which leads to the dilemma - put the cars in museums or private collections and start them every once in a while, or continue to race them? I'm thankful to the enthusiasts who maintain and drive these beasts, so that I can get a little inkling of what it must have been like to watch the Grands Prix of the 30s. And most of the time everything ends well, nobody gets hurt, and everyone goes home happy. Unfortunately it's a fine line, and when things go sideways it can get ugly fast. Having said that, I read in the paper this morning that a local guy and his wife were riding their bikes to breakfast a couple days ago, a bee flew into his helmet and stung him on the forehead. He knew that he was allergic to bee stings and always had an EpiPen and Benedryl with him. He immediately used both, but his throat swelled and he went into anaphylactic shock, when the ambulance arrived it took 13 minutes until they revived him. The doctors said he wouldn't recover, they ended up disconnecting the respirator the next day and he died. He was 50 years old and had 5 daughters 13 to 27..... My point I guess is bad stuff happens, and you never know when it's coming. Lee at least had some control over his destiny and was having a ball doing it.

I think the problem in this case was a roll bar that was too short, and the driver being belted in - when the car barrel rolled, he didn't stand a chance. I think that he almost would have been better off with no roll bar or belts, at least he would have stood a chance had he been thrown clear. And really who knows, he might have lost control because of a heart attack, it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

I imagine there is going to be a lot of pondering by the organizers before next years event. I think that they did everything right, sometimes it's just not enough to prevent a freak accident.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

East Coast
    ^^^^Well said^^^^
    I still play pick up ice hockey at 54 years young with a bunch of like minded people.
    We all know the risks of potential injuries going in.
    Sadly we had a colleague drop to the ice due to a heart attack and he didn't make it..relatively young guy(45) with a family, very sad to say the least.
    But here is the rub, my friend just loved to skate and up to that tragic moment, was doing what he loved.
    In retrospect it makes you think about the choices that you make but also makes you realize that life is short.
    Live life to the fullest or sit on the sidelines safely avoiding all possible negative consequences?...something I'm sure we all ponder, especially when we are choosing an activity that we love but has risks...

My take on this? Living your life without doing what you enjoy because of a fear of possible something negative happening seems like a boring unfulfilled path to take....things happen, that's life...driving a vintage race car at an event like LRH compared to it sitting in a garage?....no brainer... kudos to this gentleman for doing what he loved! Driving his vintage race car like it was intended...on a race track
    Although this accident is a very, very tragic and sad situation, I do believe this, that driver, like my hockey friend, was doing exactly what he loved to the very end.......we all should be so lucky
    Last edited by MikeM; 09-04-2014 at 10:43 AM.

OG3
    RG715

Very sad....condolences to the family. He was doing something he truly loved.

I was there.....I go every year, and just love the owners of these classics that come out and drive them. I walk the pits for hours every yr.

You could tell something was up, as the track closed for like an hr..maybe even more...and the PA said nothing.

I track a car myself........things happen. But its still so hard to accept. I mean, look at the Bugatti in Chucks post/pic...no rb at all.

RIP

Youtube video: [yt]gxlynOM0Ug8[/yt]
    Lime Rock Vintage Festival #32 VSCCA Tribute to Lee Duran
    http://youtu.be/gxlynOM0Ug8

Published on Sep 2, 2014
    Sept. 1, 2014 Lime Rock Vintage Racing Festival #32

VSCCA group 2 pre -war ceremonial tribute lap in honor of Lee Duran, driver of group 2 1934 MG PA Special #305
    In first pre-war outing (Mon. Sept. 1, 2014) since the accident (Sat. Aug 31,2014), Lee's group, group 2 performs a second pace lap in Missing Man formation as tribute....

copyright VSCCA; noncommercial use only....contact info mholman456@yahoo.com m.k.holman vscca

I have to disagree with the roll bar statements. We know these have to be upgraded and I see nothing wrong with doing this to vintage race cars.
    I also don't understand why the bar on the MG was not modified to be above the drivers head? I am all for vintage correctness but not at the cost of safety.
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

Let these antiquated older cars do parade laps and not full out racing unless their safety standards are brought up to date. who cares if it is not original crap for safeties sake.

Yes, roll bars. Live to crash again.