Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 73 S - muffler question....

73 S - muffler question....

I have a Herst Leistritz muffler - stamped 'made in W. Germany and 03 84 (assume production date?) that came with my car. The exterior is very solid, but when tipped side to side there is slight evidence of small bits of loose particles (rust bits?) inside, but nothing that will shake loose and come out from the tailpipe or inlets. I am inclined to use it when I start the freshly rebuilt engine and then assess it further. Is anyone familiar with this brand of exhaust, i.e. was it a premium, mid-level or low-end replacement unit? Thank you.

Regis turd ab user
    Leistritz was an OEM supplier for Porsche at that time. The muffler you have is an early style replacement stainless steel, good stuff. Yes a March 1984 build date, and should also say type 911.

Quote Originally Posted by 911s55 View Post
    Leistritz was an OEM supplier for Porsche at that time. The muffler you have is an early style replacement stainless steel, good stuff. Yes a March 1984 build date, and should also say type 911.
    Thank you for the prompt and informative reply, and yes, it is stamped '911'. The previous owner had mentioned that it was stainless steel, but I was unsure with the discoloration/tarnishing in the vicinity of the header inlets. Thanks again!

member #1515
    Remember that the final exhaust tube exits differently than on a 73 muffler. I only mention this since you are trying to be so precise in your restoration. You can always cut the exit tube off and replace.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Remember that the final exhaust tube exits differently than on a 73 muffler. I only mention this since you are trying to be so precise in your restoration. You can always cut the exit tube off and replace.
    Thank you...had no idea. Is the exhaust pipe difference obvious, i.e. what should I look for/how to tell if what I have will work or simply wait until I get to installing the left side bumper and check the exhaust cut-out in the sheetmetal for clearance and fit?

member #1515
    It has a curve down to clear the later bumpers. It will come out a bit lower than the 73 version and the chrome tip will not slide on due to the additional curve.
    You don't have to modify if you leave it without the chrome tip.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Regis turd ab user
    Here is what my Leistritz replacement looked liked when I purchased it a few yeas ago. It has the correct outlet for '73 and earlier. Also here is what is stamped on the muffler, if yours is similar you should be ok. A friend of mine also has one dated '86 with the same outlet.

Made in W/Germany B Nr 4210783 09/76 Typ 911 Herst Leistritz Nurnberg
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The rust will blow out once you have a spirited run through the gears. All other facts are correct as presented.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Thank you all for the most helpful replies and photographs...I will check the complete stamping on my muffler this evening to compare.

And please post some pics of the muffler, especially the exit pipe.........

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter