Thread: Seat Belt Options With Sport Seats?

Seat Belt Options With Sport Seats?

I'm looking to buy a set of repro Recaro style bucket seats soon but was trying to decide what sort of seat belt I should run with them. The car in question is a completely stock '71 911 T with factory installed 3 point non-retracting belts that have seen better days. I'd like to avoid drilling a bunch of holes to mount the belts I end up using so I'd like to use factory mounting points and hardware or use some other method that uses pre-existing points that wouldn't require drilling.

Based on reading through previous posts it appears I can use stock seat belts and hardware with these seats and the Recaro style seat bases. I think I can simply use the factory supplied L-brackets and mount them directly to the Recaro type seat base. Is this correct? Has anybody done this and if so, any pictures to post?

The second option I like are the 3 point Britax style harnesses. With these, can I mount the lap belt portion to the Recaro seat frame similar to the factory belts? Where would I mount the 3rd point for the shoulder harnesses? It appears somebody made a system that screwed into the pre-existing holes for the luggage tie down brackets. Based on the few posts I read nobody figured out where these came from. Is there a way to mount the third point in this location without drilling holes?

I really like the harness setup since I'm planning to go for a narrow body ST look and these would look good. If I can mount them to the seat frames and the parcel shelf without drilling extra holes I'd like this option. If this isn't a choice then can you use a stock 3 point non-retracting setup with the bucket seats?

I know guys have probably beat this topic to death but I can't seem to find the answers. Thanks in advance for the help.

Stretch

'Vintage Seat Belts' up in Canada will build whatever you need. He did a three point belt for my 67.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The belt install was made easier by the adapter seat mounts that have an anchor point for the lap belts, vastly superior to the original 67 mount points. You would need to do something similar since your car would have had anchor points bolted to the seat rails. The 67 has a shoulder belt anchor point under the rear quarter window (yours is on the 'B' pillar) so I had the shoulder belt made to reach there. The original anchorage was only an 8mm bolt, so I drilled that larger and retapped for the standard 7/16th" SAE fine thread bolt. I had the seats done with belt slots so the belts are cinched down on me,,,,not the seat edge! The shoulder belt has a loop at the end that must be slipped over the inside portion of the lap belt, then latch the outer part of the lap belt and pull it all tight. Not quite as convenient as a 3 point retractable, but very livable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Excellent advice from a slow driving left lane bandit.

+1 on the mounts to the seat frame and slots in the seat are much better than the alternative "over the bolster" situation.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111