Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the original fuchs wheel finish?

What is the original fuchs wheel finish?

I am having my two set of fuch wheels to refinish, The first set is 15"x6" for 1969 and the second set is 16"x7" and 16"x9"
    I wondering that which areas should finish with anodize, spray paint or chrome.

Thank you

Whoever is refurbishing your Fuchs should know what to do, if they don't, then send them elsewhere, Harvey Weidman is your man in the USA, try me if you are in Europe or elsewhere.. They need to be stripped with the correct chemicals, machined to remove corrosion pitting, polished, anodised then painted.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Nick is correct.
    The original finish was simple when they were new and "assembly line" produced.
    To reproduce that "production" finish is much more difficult now...as all parts are...
    If you are trying to do them yourself or having a shop do them that has not done them in the past, the learning curve is very steep...and expensive....
    HTH,
    H
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Ahhh...Fuchin' A that's a cool shot.
    Per Schroeder

I've got a set of deep 6's to be refinished. When cruising through photo's, some look better than others. Not so much talking about quality of finish, but how the masking for the black-out is done. I notice that some show more rim which brings on a deeper appearance and some have been masked to show more of the side of the petal - possibly with curved side masking to emphasise more of the fat end. Changes the appearance quite a bit. What is seen as the correct ratio between black and silver?

Are you aware that the original wheels were dipped painted? therefore all lines are horizontal and at the exact same level, that is why you see differences in the petals. Not everybody masks them correctly, that is as in what it would be as if the wheel were dipped.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Mine were done by Al Reed and wife - is Al still doing wheels ?
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Al and Dianne are still doing wheels....at least a couple months ago they were....
    Al doesn't offer the same spoke and outer side "as forged" finish as we do.
    His finish is a good value for the money.
    As far as painting, Ed is right. They were dipped so all of the lines are parallel.
    We have dipped wheels and they turn out just like original...with all of the runs, fish eyes, thin edges, splashes, dirt and fingerprints.
    The masking gives much more flexibility to add a little more paint so they aren't too thin at the sharp edges.
    And we also can lower the outer line for a little more offset to show. (the most popular)
    For concourse competition, we measure the line all around the wheel to make like it was dipped, even the backs...
    They were all dipped about the same..depending on the level of paint etc. (From wheel to wheel + - 4mm for total measured variance of 8mm..up and down and even side to side!!).
    So the fronts came out different for the different widths.
    You can see the 5.5X14 is very shallow compared to the 6X15...The difference is 1/2 inch on the outer lip...so 1/2 "higher" line.
    (i.e. the line is the same. the wheel is not as tall)
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 09-01-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Sorry to hijack. Harvey, what's your approximate turnaround these days ? I've got 5 wheels I'll be wanting to send this winter.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Harvey,

Is that my Minilite in the last photo? I hope.

Richard Newton