Thread: Ledson Winery PCA Concours. '14.

Ledson Winery PCA Concours. '14.

Every year around the middle of September I enjoy going to this Porsche club sponsored car-show. It's put on by the Redwood Region of PCA Zone 7, takes place at the palatial Ledson Winery 'castle" as they prefer to call their facility, fall is in the air, the grapes are ripe with the harvest usually in full swing and one of my favorite Italian trattorias, owned & run by a family from the same city in Italy where my father's side of the family originated is just down the road for a great lunch, almost always accompanied by a bottle of Ledson Cabarnet…... when done with the cars..

Porsches of all ages and types are usually well represented, with quite a few R Gruppe and ESReg member's cars entered, and it all rarely conflicts with other major happenings, so no one has to agonize over which event to attend.

Attached, please find a few sets of photos from yesterday's '14 edition of the Ledson event,

Thanks for looking,

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

and another set,

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

The next set.

……..and another set.

Great shots, John.
    Thanks for sharing them.
    ds

What a beautiful venue! My wife and I had the pleasure of beginning an all day wine tasting tour at Ledson last year. Just fabulous. Nice cars too
    Zed

As I was preparing to leave and head for parking lot, I stopped for one last look at a particularly sweet 356, and there ran into a younger man equally lost in thought and obviously mesmerized by the patina and personality of the car. Leaning over and almost whispering he said:"……isn't that just the percfect GT for a day like today". I agreed and said the only way it could be better would be for it to be a late 356 with more power and disc brakes, to which he slyly replied: " in that case. you need to stop and look at my new car I just scored three weeks ago , it's in the parking under the big oak tree". Turns out he had heard about the completely original silver T-6 with the beautiful brownish interior from a friend who appearantly couldn't afford to move on the car, but who added that the car was a one-owner driver, impeccably maintained by a famed WWII fighter pilot ace with 142 missions in P-47 Thunderbolts and a huge number of kills to his credit, who stayed in the Air Force and remained stationed in Europe after the war. Upon retiriement he ordered and purchased the 356 and used it as his daily driver for decades and he and his friend, some guy named Milt something" - Minter I asked - "Yeah, Milt Minter ….., that's him, they drove it, raced it and traveled to many events together, and when I got the car home I found several prescription bottles of meds in the glove compartment for Minter - one of these days I've got to google this guy Milt to find out what makes him famous. I've always liked the 356s and finally found a good one - I'll never sell this one " he said as we parted.

In the parking lot, looking at this treasure I realized this car was every bit as unique, and improbably perfect as the new owner had described it. I think the car has found the ideal next care-taker……….even if he has no idea who Milt Minter was.

Cheers,

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 09-26-2014 at 04:17 AM.

Looks like a T6 356B so unless its been upgraded, drum brakes. Nice find with great provenance. I suspect he will catch up quickly when he finds the 356Registry.
    Zed

Quote Originally Posted by Zedone View Post
    Looks like a T6 356B so unless its been upgraded, drum brakes. Nice find with great provenance. I suspect he will catch up quickly when he finds the 356Registry.
    The silver 356 is a 62 356B T6. Yes, I am positive and, yes. I'm a geek!

Ciao

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    . . . the car was a one-owner driver, impeccably maintained by a famed WWII fighter pilot ace with 142 missions in P-47 Thunderbolts and a huge number of kills to his credit . . .
    Do you know who the Pilot was?

Thunderbolt's best talent was train-busting, but --- the top-scorers = . . .

Francis Gabresky . . . . 28 victories
    Robert Johnson . . . . . 27
    Fred Christenson . . . . 21.5
    Walker Mahurin . . . . . 20.8

Ironic, too --- that someone who made a career out of shooting down German planes, etc, etc . . .

We Can Be Heroes