Thread: Is it possible to add a speaker hole to an existing dash?

Is it possible to add a speaker hole to an existing dash?

I have a dash with no speaker. Can it be cut out to add a speaker insert? Or is the result too crude and rough to do that?

What year car is this??
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

It's a '73 but I'm sure the dash is aftermarket.

After reading this again I now assume you mean the dash pad, not the metal dash stamping , which what I thought you were referring to in the first post. Why cut a hole, it would be far neater to install a dash pad with the speaker hole made in it.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

1. expense
    2. I hear the pads don't fit well

I do have an oval hole in the sheet metal.

After you cut a hole in that dash top, Which won't be easy with the dash in place, and install a speaker, how did you plan to cover the hole back up,,,,or did you? And actually the later version dash tops do fit pretty good.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Won't the stock speaker grill (cover) work? How does Porsche's supplier cut the holes in the stock dashes?

This goes back to your first question "or is the result too crude and rough to do that" This depends on your tools and abilities to cut neatly through foam and steel, and end up with a hole that is exactly the right size and has the provisions to hold down the speaker grill. So, that I can't answer. I just did a replacement dash top a few weeks ago, and although they have the speaker grill opening it is not large enough to enable installing a speaker from the top as the originals did. With the dash on a work bench and good access I was able to cut the material away, both foam and steel, and retain the speaker hold down provision. The dash installed normally and had good fit to the defroster vent slots.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.