Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Balsa Wood-'Style' Shift knobs - Made with Basswood

Wooden Balsa Wood-'Style' Shift knobs - Made with Basswood

I have been making a few extra as I made some for close friends. These are NOT perfect as each is hand made without a lathe. I had sold 7 on Pelican but was kicked off because they were "Protecting their sellers" (which I can respect).

They are made from basswood which is very similar to balsa, but tighter grain, stronger and better longevity. I think they are very nice and in no way do I intend them to be exact replicas of the original. They are nice, feel good, look good. But to answer a post below, they are basswood. With that in mind, I can use any wood if you want to commission one in Balso, Birch, Walnut, Zebra, etc...Happy to accommodate. It is fun to make and I would be happy to try some different woods.

Anyway - $50 + $5 S&H (2 day USPS).

They are all beautiful as the pics show. Some are yet to be 'finished" allowing for custom finish (Gloss, matte, wax or stained).

Let me know if you are interested and if you want more pics or a video.

They are the exact same size of the originals (+/-) a smidgen. And I can also make them bigger if you have a larger hand. The originals were sized for a 5'8" racer who weighed 140 lbs (is that you? LOL).

Great price for a fully hand made, hand finished knob.

I made one custom knob for a gentleman in the traditional shape but in wood - see pics.

The Third pic is new - note the different wood pattern/thickness for a different look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jsandak; 09-15-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added new knob

I've purchased on of these and was very pleased with it. It's a great deal for a hand made knob. Looks great installed!!!!

any pictures of the threaded/pressed end?.......nice work
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

You know ill take one.

HeloSix - thanks of the follow up.

Cliff - I have been sending them out in one of two ways 1) A simple Pilot hole allowing the end user to bore it out to their transmission shaft size 2) pre-drilling for a 901 or 915 size shaft (without sleeve or threading). I do believe that a crush sleeve can be utilized, but again, once your transmission shaft size is determined. Otherwise a dab of some glue would be the way to go and the way I am doing it for myself.

tpweiss9953 - I have submerged the thin sheets of wood in the ebony stain and will provide details of the progress. I have no problem experimenting with colors, wood patters etc. Thank for the support.

I'll take one! Where can I send cash?

new knob for sale and more

TomRitt - thanks for the purchase - please send me your mailing address (I misplaced it). Thanks

New Knob - thinner layers except the center layer...came out nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Perfect! Thanks. Can't wait to see it!

jsandak, these are NOT made with balsa wood as your title claims

If anyone would like Balsa wood, I have now purchased the wood for more direct replicas (should anyone care). I also have Mahogany, Zebra and Maple if anyone is interested. Again, these can be custom sized for each persons needs.

Buy 2, should you need two (maybe a gift for a buddy) and the second one is 50% off. $50 + 25 = 5 S&H = $80. Wow.