Thread: Targa Reinforcement

Targa Reinforcement

I know it has been done with open 356's ,in the longitudinals ,for structural reinforcement. Has anyone come up with a design for Targa?

member #1515
    Ask Boba here., he did the ultimate chassis. Actually you can put in the cab longitudinals.
    Twist is good, Mark Donahue preferred it.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

The answer is in this long thread:
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...forcement.html

Yes. One option is to reinforce the longitudinal area of the chassis (via interior rocker sill).

Sherwood

The PO of my Targa doubled up the inner longitudinal, because he wanted to auto cross. My personal opinion is that the Targa as designed by Porsche, was strong enough and I really don't think it needs to be re-engineered, that said theses cars are getting to be 40-50 years old and there is undeniable metal fatigue. Its a lot of work, but if done during a restoration a worthwhile effort. I like it because it's invisible, the carpet totally hides the modification.
    Rob Abbott

Why would you want to stiffen a targa?....that would reduce its ability to twist around the corners...<grin>

See also Poor old Marcel, the most famous autocrossed Targa ever and owned by Terry Zacconne....check out the results from the PCA Parade autocross.....last time I checked this duo was pretty quick through the cones.

I see Terry every year at the Parade autocross, he runs the production class,,,his times usually don't get beat until the improved class runs!
    He has often said that if the body was stiffer it wouldn't be as fast!! And mind you he has gonzo torsion bars in it. Oh,,, and he runs with the top off,,,just so that doesn't accidently add any stiffness!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

member #1515
    Maybe he keeps the top off so it doesn't pop off with the twist.
    Performance wise , on the street, I don't think it is noticeable .
    Maybe on the track with big tires.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

mad scientist
    There used to be a company, Eurotek, that made chassis stiffening panels for the targa/cab. They have been out of business for quite sometime.

I am close to having a first prototype of these panels for reproduction. Honestly, it will be later this year or early spring before they are ready. I just have too much stuff going on to push.
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

Rob,
    I concur, there is undeniable metal fatigue with the older Targa. If done during a restoration, the carpet totally hides the modification.

Vr,
    Scott