Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help removing seats in 1967 Porsche 911

Help removing seats in 1967 Porsche 911

I need to remove the driver's seat on a 1967 Porsche 911 (normal) to tighten the bottom front bolt on the seat back L-shaped bracket. (Unfortunately there is not enough room to use a right-angle screwdriver.) I assume that the track must be removed from the car to remove the seat. Is that correct?

If so, attached is a photo of the front end of the left track looking into the car from the outside. There are three 5mm hex bit bolts inside the front end of the track (and two or three more at the rear). Are those the bolts to loosen? Or do I loosen the three bolts outside (lower in the photo) the track that apparently hold the track to the frame? Or use some other method?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Name:  1967 Porsche 911 seat track front end.JPG
Views: 708
Size:  148.6 KB

Later cars had stops welded on the rails so the seat couldn't slide all the way off in an accident, for those you must remove the rails. Not sure if 67 had them, might first try just pushing seat all the way forward off the rail. if not unbolt the rails. (the bolts within the rails)
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I have two 67 models, the seats will slide out forward on both cars
    registry #2072

This car has black rectangular "plugs" mounted on the rear of the seat half of the rail mechanism that appear to prevent the seats from sliding off the front of the rail. There does not appear to be enough room to slide the seats off the rear end of the rails. Is there some way to remove those "stops", and then remove the seat by sliding forward without removing the rails?

As a side note, the nylon spacer washers on the driver and passenger seats are mounted different. On the driver seat, the mounting is: seat, seat cover, first nylon washer, second nylon washer, metal L-shaped bracket, metal grommet, tooth washer, and Phillips head bolt. On the passenger seat, the mounting is: seat, seat cover, first nylon washer, metal L-shaped bracket, second nylon washer, metal grommet, tooth washer, and Phillips head bolt. The seat cover on the passenger seat is original leather while the seat cover on the driver seat is man-made. The seat back covers are leather on both. Any idea which washer set up is correct?

As another side note, the space between the bolt head (Phillips screw head) and the carpet on the frame is less than 3/4 inch. I searched fairly hard for a right-angle Phillips head screw driver, and most have depths of 3/4" or more. (I am now the proud owner of six new right-angle screw drivers.) Did I miss any hidden gems?

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Then I guess you get to unbolt the rails. No you didn't miss any "tools' when you need to access those screws you remove the seat.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Will do.

Ed, thanks for the help. Mike and the crew have helped a lot with the car, plus encouraged me on the minor projects.

You don't have to unbolt anything. You have plain old 67 seats that just slide right out. You may want to remove the rubber floor mat as they can get in the way . It can help to have a friend push forward on the seat while you hold the seat adjuster lever. It ain't rocket science.

Ciao

Jim

AND once you get the seats out be sure to pad the adjuster lever with something or contact with the ground will grind the "RECARO" text right off the end of the knob!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by jfadams View Post
    As another side note, the space between the bolt head (Phillips screw head) and the carpet on the frame is less than 3/4 inch. I searched fairly hard for a right-angle Phillips head screw driver, and most have depths of 3/4" or more. (I am now the proud owner of six new right-angle screw drivers.) Did I miss any hidden gems?
    Could you access the screw with a 1/4" drive Phillips bit held in an open end or box end wrench?

On my '68, I just move the left seat all the way back and the right seat all the way forward to access those screws...
    Mike Kuhn
    Mayo Performance