Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Early Oil Line Fitting for '70E Restoration

Help - Early Oil Line Fitting for '70E Restoration

As I was getting ready to send the oil line fittings for my '70E restoration project to the plating shop for anodize, I discovered this split nut on the oil tank fitting. This is from the long flexible line that runs from the crankcase to the oil tank. I checked my stock of similar lines and found two more like this with cracks.

I am trying to keep the car as original as possible. I do have other lines with the yellow Cad crimp fitting, but I do not think these are correct for a '70.

It seem like the fitting can be disassembled and the nut replaced, but I cannot figure out how to do it without damaging the fitting. Has anyone done this?

Alternatively, does anyone know where I can find a good replacement fitting?

Any and all help will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Have you consulted with Brad Davis? His phone # is attached in this thread. http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=davis

To disassemble that you use the male end from an old oil line, screw it into that fitting, lock the two together, and unscrew. Can send you pictures if you like.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    To disassemble that you use the male end from an old oil line, screw it into that fitting, lock the two together, and unscrew. Can send you pictures if you like.
    Ed

Thanks for your input. I was thinking this might work as I was laying in bed this morning. However, I am not sure how the two pieces will lock with the nut split. I guess I could try clamping the nut closed.

Pics would be great. You can send them to my email at tomsrennshop@gmail.com. I assume some penetrant and heat will help?

Thanks again
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

Hi Tom,

I have run into this problem quite a few times and here is the trick. Remove / cut away the cracked aluminum nut so all that is left if the exposed threaded insert. This is usually pretty easy as the aluminum tends to be brittle. Next take a steel swivel nut of the same size / spec, cut it in half, and fit is around the insert. Tighten a "C" clamp around the bisected swivel nut and then thread in the typical jamb fitting as Ed mentioned. It should all disassemble as normal from there.

I have reproductions of the TCH aluminum nut and will be happy to send you one. Also will send you a new Cohline steel nut to make your rescue tool. What size are you working with M25 or M30?

Take care,

Brad
    949 266-4205
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

These pictures should help.
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Brad

Thanks for your reply. I do understand the process you recommend and will give it a try. I may have the steel nut in my stash but if not, I will contact you for that and the reproduction Al nut.

Let me give it a try and I will be back in touch.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

Hi Tom, Brad has already expertly answered your question, but anyway here is my picture which I said I'd get for you. There is a plug on my fitting because I also use it to plug lines to test for leaks, I have a similar fitting with a schrader valve in it for the other end.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed and Brad

Thanks for showing me how these things come apart.

I simply clamped down on the original cracked nut in my vise and then used some garden hose and my chain wrench to remove the fitting.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

I have a replacement steel nut from another fitting that I disassembled. Is there any reason not to use this?
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E