Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estate Sale Find

Estate Sale Find

Sadly, the guy who originally built my Audi rally car passed away earlier this year. He was only in his 50s and had won a number of national events as a co-driver in a factory VW Golf in the 90s. His estate sale was several weeks ago. As we had many common interests, I spent 4 or 5 hours over 2 days going through his stuff and - literally - carrying armloads of rally memorabilia out of the house. I was probably the only person who knew what any of this stuff was. But the big score came at the very last minute on the 2nd day. I was scouring the garage for the 4th or 5th time and it had been pretty well picked over by this time. There were a couple of boxes of household electrical items (Romex, switches, etc.), all pretty much worthless. But I decided to look through each box anyway. In the bottom of the second box, I found this:

Halda Twinmaster.jpg

No price, it had some dings and dents, and nobody had a clue what it was. So they sold it to me for $1. Don't hate me.

I also found his Fastime Co-Driver watch thrown into a box with a bunch of worthless junk, mistaken I'm sure for a crappy Timex. Got that for 50-cents.

Dammit Egerer! Your penance is three Hail Mary's, six Our Father's - and you have to give me the Twinmaster..... Was all this stuff on Linwood Road? What a surprise to hear of his passing.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    ohhhh man,

I sure do NOT want this to happen at my estate sale.....

unless it's to friends like you guys

then it would be all ok
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

Well done! I'm sure the former owner is up there somewhere smiling at your find.

Perhaps that former owner was up there guiding your hand to ensure the prizes went to a deserving home.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Banned
    At the end of the day (literally) I'm afraid we may be revered for our stuff than by "Our Stuff".

Our legacy should be that we enhanced other's lives while we were alive rather than providing them with cool trinkets after we're gone.

Having said this, better you having it Curt than probably any other person on the planet... Someone has to own our crap when we're gone.

You're right Frank. It's all just 'stuff' and in the end none of it really matters. "The guy with the most stuff when he dies wins"? Bull***t. The sad part here was none of the family wanted any of his many, many trophies. Here was a lifetime of racing achievements unceremoniously dumped in a couple of boxes on the basement floor I bought them all because, well, otherwise they would have wound up in a dumpster. I was at least able to give all of his Co-Driver trophies to the driver of the Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garfield View Post
    Dammit Egerer! Your penance is three Hail Mary's, six Our Father's - and you have to give me the Twinmaster..... Was all this stuff on Linwood Road? What a surprise to hear of his passing.
    If I were the superstitious type, I wouldn't even reply here. Both the original driver of the car (Jim Warren, Linwood Rd) and the builder of the car (Bob Pierce) passed away this year Let's just say, I'm watching my back ....

This is Bob co-driving for WG Giles:
    WG Giles Bob Pierce 1991.jpg

And here's Jim driving my car:
    LSPR 2000 Warren 033 AA sm.jpg

Curt...bring that rallye piece with you to Bergrennen.

I actually found something for you Vic. Not exactly a Halda Twinmaster, but cool nonetheless. I'll bring it next week.