Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement 911 Dash Ideas

Replacement 911 Dash Ideas

With my 70' IROC build coming to an end and with the windshield needing to be installed. We found out that my original dash was damaged and could not be reused which then leads into various options:
    - new factory dash (too rich for my blood)
    - used dash and have it covered (solid option)
    - used dash and install it as is (saves some $$$ and adds to the patina)
    - fiberglass or carbon fiber dash (lightweight and looks good, money savings)
    - So many options: Getty, GT-Racing, Rennspd, Damon, etc
    - which who makes a good dash or are they all coming out the same factory?
    - ABS plastic dash tops.. read about them but haven't really found any.

Looking for opinions and what you've done in this matter. As for the use of the car, it has been built up as a street legal track car.

Name:  dashboard.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  106.3 KB

Do what the factory did on their race cars, cover it in thin black perlon.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'd like a carbon dash if for no other reason than weight savings but I would want a dull clearcoat or else cover the top in alcantarra or some such to keep down the reflections.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I've had the factory black perlon look in my 914-6 GT tribute, and loved it. For a purpose built race car it is the correct look, and very inexpensive as well.
    1969 911 E #824

Quote Originally Posted by xpensivewino View Post
    I've had the factory black perlon look in my 914-6 GT tribute, and loved it. For a purpose built race car it is the correct look, and very inexpensive as well.
    I like that idea but i heard something about a draft coming through the open holes.

In a hot race car you appreciate the draft! but if its just for show or a street car, than put an underlayment down before the perlon.
    1969 911 E #824

Quote Originally Posted by CaryPhotography View Post
    I like that idea but i heard something about a draft coming through the open holes.
    Draft? More like an F5 tornado.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Draft? More like an F5 tornado.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Do what the factory did on their race cars, cover it in thin black perlon.
    As stated. +1

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

If I was in that situation again and wanted a "budget dash", I'd get another plastic cover ($80?) but cover it in turn with glued on fabric, like Alcantara (suede), and silicone that over my bad dash. Instead of a toupee, a fancy hairpiece...
    It's not a concours deal, of course, but the dash cover I have in my wife's 912 isn't a bad piece fit wise, it's just the finish is not to my liking. Covered in alcantara it'd be cool.
    Stoddard's repro looks nice (is it the lake well one?) but yeah, $$$$ !
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002