Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still have the oil decals in the oil flap of their 1972 911?

Does anyone still have the oil decals in the oil flap of their 1972 911?

Guys,

Mine were deleted by the PO and I need to replace them. There was one on the oil cap and one on the inside of the flap. "OIL" in red I believe. If your car still has them can you confirm this?

Thanks

Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

The other thread mentions the old story of the fuel pump attendant putting gas into the oil opening. I've never believed this either. IMHO Porsche realised it was very expensive to put the tank where they did in 1972. It was also expensive to have an opening in the fender and a flap so I think they just made a cheaper solution in 1973 and invented the gas station story. The biggest advantage of the 1972 set up is it moved 11 plus Kgs ( 25 lbs ) from behind the rear wheels to in front of them.

When I was stationed in Weisbaden Germany I ordered my 1972 911T coupe June 1971. If my memory is correct the serial # was 133 and I picked it up the in the first two weeks of September at the Zuffenhausen factory. I'm positive my coupe did not have those two oil stickers inside the oil door. I shipped the car in October from Hamburg Germany using a company that all servicemen used to ship their personal cars, and picked it up at the Bayonne NJ. port in late October. I received a letter from the Weisbaden Porsche dealer that had several documents including a personal note from the salesman wanting to know if there were any problems that I may have had. He knew I was moving to Florida and had a desire to someday visit FL to vacation. He informed me that Porsche had made a large shipment overseas and at the port cars were accidentally topped off with gasoline in the oil reservoir. He did not give the name of the port or which country this happened in. I did hear about this problem quite often in magazines or at stateside Porsche dealers and possibly they started applying the oil stickers soon after.

Here is the ones on my January 1972 S.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lash LaRowe View Post
    When I was stationed in Weisbaden Germany I ordered my 1972 911T coupe June 1971. If my memory is correct the serial # was 133 and I picked it up the in the first two weeks of September at the Zuffenhausen factory. I'm positive my coupe did not have those two oil stickers inside the oil door. I shipped the car in October from Hamburg Germany using a company that all servicemen used to ship their personal cars, and picked it up at the Bayonne NJ. port in late October. I received a letter from the Weisbaden Porsche dealer that had several documents including a personal note from the salesman wanting to know if there were any problems that I may have had. He knew I was moving to Florida and had a desire to someday visit FL to vacation. He informed me that Porsche had made a large shipment overseas and at the port cars were accidentally topped off with gasoline in the oil reservoir. He did not give the name of the port or which country this happened in. I did hear about this problem quite often in magazines or at stateside Porsche dealers and possibly they started applying the oil stickers soon after.
    That is a very interesting piece of trivia. Thanks for sharing
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by Lash LaRowe View Post
    No doubt the stickers made their appearance later in the '72 model year production as reports from the field about gas station attendants mistakenly pouring gasoline into the oil filler began making themselves known in Stuttgart head office. The stop gap remedy was to introduce stickers and the final remedy was to drop the offending feature in '73.

My 72 was built in Nov 71. 9112100799 I have both stickers & also the cap has "oil" in raised letters.

I had to stop pump jockies a couple of times after they opened the passenger door to open the oil flap. This was after I had sprung the gas door

Tom

The literature (Excellence Was Expected & Porsche Unexpected) suggests that emerging Federal side impact safety regulations and continual focus on cost reduction swayed the design change. No doubt those gasoline miss-fills were part of the motivation as well.
    -Jim

'72 911T
    '02 B5 S4 (RS4 Clone)
    '12 997.2 Turbo Manual
    '19 B9 RS5 (Daily)

gas station attendants could not mistakenly pour gasoline into the oil filler without a clueless owner popping the wrong door from the interior, could they?

I want that setup on my car - but it is way too spendy to do it now.