Thread: Early 911 expert in Germany?

Early 911 expert in Germany?

I'm sure there are plenty, but i'd like a recommendation....
    I'm moving from Poland (wroclaw) to Switzerland (Zurich) in a few weeks and want to put my car in to be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing. Ideally someone en route, maybe in Nurnberg....

I put a '79 SC engine in my 70T. I built the engine and installed it myself and then had a local Porsche 'expert' tune it. After 2 months of them fannying around and causing loads of issues i finally got the car back. I've spent today recifying their mistakes. The car Starts and runs, but there are a few issues that they were unable to resolve.

1) alternator not charging. I think the problem is the voltage convertor, but due to the move and a few business trips between i don't think i'm going to have enough time to fix it.
    2) tachometer doesn't work.... I've started taking a look at this and need to install the tach adapt unit i have, but my lack of time is a problem
    3) horrific flat spot about 3k revs, which the local expert couldn't tune out.
    4) now i'm moving from poland to a country with nice roads, i can get the ride height set lower. I currently have a minimum of 17 cm so i can drive around on our crap roads. When i bought the car from germany it had 7! So i need that adjusted too.

So, what i need is an early engine expert. The suspension is a lower priority.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks
    Paul

Hi Paul,

you should directly look for someone who cares for your car in Swizerland.

I know probably all the "experts" in south Germany, but I can only recommend one engine
    guy. All the others are currently in a gold digging mood, and will charge you > 100€/ hour
    for bad workmanship, the few remaining having waiting list up to three month.

But, try Armin Knüpfing in Würzburg. Until now I heard nothing negative about him.

//

Manfred
    Last edited by ZWEIRS; 09-22-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks Manfred. I'll check out Armin knupfing. Doing anything in switzerland is going to cost a small fortune.

I lived in Switzerland for 9 years and can recommend:

Garage Hausherr, Zürcher Strasse 242A, 9014 St. Gallen; 0041 71 277 32 93: for engine, gearbox and suspension work. Markus Hausherr used to own/race a 911RS 2.7 in the 70ies and is an expert for all 911 up to the 993.

Garage Reust, Märwiler Strasse 30, 9556 Affeltrangen; 0041 71 917 1 911: for parts, body work and restorations. Excellent work!

I know both workshops and have not found similar quality in Germany except for Raceline Feustel near Cologne.
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

My car is now with Armin knupfing. I dropped in earlier today. Very nice garage full of some cery nice cars. I'll be back on friday to pick it up.

I know Armin really well. He also knows Porsches really well. As for pricing, well it all depends on the extent of the work but he's an honest guy.
    Tony
    1958 356 Coupe
    1996 993 Cabrio
    Early 911S Registry no. 1699
    RGRUPPE no. 993
    PCGB no. 119

I have done a couple of engines with Armin, he is very good, plus he has worked at POrsche in the old days, and his dad also.
    He restored the Monte Carlo 914 and is one of the 914 experts in Germany.

As for pricing well he is a profesional and charges like one, and like all it depends also on the work done.

MittleMotor has a very good mecanic, Ingo, and i have done engines with them also, and all good.
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

I've ordered parts with MittelMotor and had a really bad experience. I think they got my order wrong 3 times and then sent me parts in multiple deliveries and charged me multiple times. I won't be using them again. I now use RosePassion or teile.de (actually teile.pl) for parts, who have always been great.

Armin showed me around the workshop yesterday. Lots of 914s, 916s and a 916GT. Of course, plenty of early 911s and parts, all in various states of repair.

Have you tried Wickes Sixes in Hamburg?

Got my car back from Amin Kpunfig a couple of weeks ago and have now moved house. Finally got internet access sorted again yesterday......

Great experience at Knupfig autosport. Turns out my problem was a broken alternator. Very happy and i managed over 190kph on the autobhan (on the sat nav, speedometer said well over 200) and then i bottled out. Pretty sure it would of gone quite a bit faster. Next step is to get it tuned by someone who can tune PMO carbs, as Knupfig's couldn't do that.