Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full body pan

Full body pan

Anybody here have any experience with a full body pan replacement for their car. I can't find a full pan listed here in the US but Parts-Wise.com in I believe the UK lists both a reproduction and a Porsche "original production" one piece pan that goes from the front trunk to the rear of the passenger compartment. I think I saw one on one of AlanUK's threads. Any advantage to this type of replacement as opposed to the usual three pieces. My impression is that the "pieces" idea cam from the thought that everybody was not going to have to replace their entire pan.

I can imagine that shipping from Europe can be expensive. Anybody know a source here in US or perhaps Canada? Any group buy interest? Any experience involving installation?

Thanks for advice.

Tm

Full floor pans are available again from Porsche. Ok sit down, $4,930.00 at a dealership near you. I'am told as well that the complete roof stamping is available, from the lower windshield cowell all the way to the lower rear window at $3,300.00. Stated that "Some rework needed for early models".
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

That's about what Parts-Wise.com sells the original for in Europe. However, they have a reproduction version which is 40% off. They don't divulge who makes it. Does Porsche make their own stamping on that or are they using the repro stamping and calling it their own. Maybe Moito or Marek or even Eric Linden knows the answer.

Dansk, most likely. They seam to be doing a lot of Porsche stampings.
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

I seem to be the master of ending threads. I can't resist urge to comment, but as soon as do, the thread ends. So be it. I need to replace most of the pans in my '67S and as a former mechanical engineer it occurs to me that having one structural piece of metal as opposed to three or four pieces welded together is a better repair. Obviously Porsche starts that way at the factory, so seems like the best of all possible start points. As stated above I found that Parts-Wise .com has the full pan available in both a reproduction version and the new Porsche "original version". The company's rep seems to have carefully avoided the question of who makes the "new" original and who makes the reproduction pan. To bring over the reproduction pan it will cost about $3200.00. But if 5 are purchased together, the cost drops to about $2,200.00. Available only by way of Bank Transfer. I still have to talk to Dale Erdman, my body man to see what he thinks. Maybe its easier to replace the pan in pieces and I'm sure he ill let me know. The company selling these is out of the Netherlands, but I still don't know where or by who the pan is manufactured. Perhaps i can induce AlanUK to chime in if he has any knowledge as to the company and/or quality of the reproduction pan.

Shipping quote is to Austin Texas. Makes me wonder if stamping is in Mexico or South America. I would expect cheaper shipping quote if coming to an Eastern Port but I don't know.

Just wondering if anybody else would be interested in going in on a group purchase. Probably a lot cheaper than a Celite bench purchase.

member #1515
    It's highly recommended to use a Celette to put that on.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Why would it be more because it is a full pan. Longitudinals and bracing define rigidity. If necessary for full pan, would also be true for any pan. Not building a "body in white". How come everybody uses a rotisserie. If anything would torque a body, handing it two ends would sure do it.

member #1515
    Yes even doing the front pan requires a partial jig. Anything that has suspension pick up points, or affects these, has to be absolutely dead on. Same for when you do longitudinals, corners, a complete roof. All of these things twist and bend when not fully secured. I've seen shops that only work on 911's or 356's that have pickup points bolted into the floor, or onto steel frame. All basically the same concept as the Celette. The Celette benches allow you to work on different cars if you have the proper fixings.
    It's all described in the repair manuals.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I agree with what you said immediately above, but you have not answered my question. How does a rotisserie or octagonal roll over cage insure that. The two or three guys I have seen use the old carpenter's method by measuring across the frame for square as well as front to back points on both sides. Celette is used primarily for frame repair and collision repair. When you have to pull something back in place. As long as the unibody structure of the car remains in tact, all of the suspension points are as the factory dictated. By welding in the new pan you are essentially "squaring" and "levelling" the body. I note that Stoddard came out with a front pan jig. But it does not have the suspension point apparatus that is illustrated in the Porsche manual which as I read is for replacement of the left or right side front end pieces that has been damage in a collision which would have included damaged front fender well.

I'll ultimately defer to my body man who has been doing 356's for about 20 years. He will probably tell me I am either nuts or full of bull.

I purchased a full pan from Stoddard years ago. It was spendy then and at the time the cost was almost equal to what I had paid for the car.
    I liked that the relationship of all of the front suspension points was already set and all of the small parts were included. I didn't know until I received the pan that it came with the gas tank support and longitudinals as well.
    The longitudinals and gas tank support had to be removed to fit the chassis. I basically leveled and braced the chassis before removing the old pan and then raised the new pan into position and braced it using the body diagrams in the factory manual to verify that the suspension pick up points were in the right place. I did all of the structural chassis repair this way prior to placing it on a rotisserie to finish things up.
    The pan came with the latest features to accommodate AC etc. and this I removed and filled. The gas tank support was the later style as well as the number and placement of holes and indentations. This has been discussed here recently in great detail.
    Overall the full pan was probably less work for me to install and line up but as you say I'd defer to your body man before you purchase a full pan.
    Attached Images Attached Images