Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Engine bay and underside shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

More pics.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 08-31-2020 at 02:29 AM.

Greg has been driving the car for a bit now...still making adjustments here and there, while those TB15s in front are putting a little patina on those wide rear flares. He wants the car to be driven...and he is having fun doing it!
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I should have added...he gets lots of 'thumbs up' and big smiles everywhere he goes! Not many of these running around Phoenix these days....
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Even better with a little patina.

December in Arizona is a wonderful time to get into your 911 and DRIVE!! Sunny weather, inexpensive gas, old farm roads all temp a guy to get away from the rush of shopping, frustrating traffic, and traffic lights. The sound and smell are intoxicating in these old 911s, and they strengthen in your mind as the engine revs toward that torquey sweet spot. I enjoyed one of those days yesterday.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

A special AZ plate...
    Greg is getting serious about working on this3.0 RS!]
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

The MAXJAX lift allows Greg to get the car up in the air with a 4 foot clearance (even though not shown in these pics), while not as nice as my old Rotary Lift, it does allow a guy to get a lot of good work done.

A point that I forgot to post is from a note Pete Stout sent me last year about those little 356 reflectors. Here are his comments:

The reason for those reflectors came up in an interview with Bernd Kahnau about “F22,” a car most people now refer to as the “Club Sport prototype” even though that is not what Bernd set out to build. In any event, those reflectors appeared on certain special 911s with flares of a certain size—and are there because there is a regulation in Europe that stated red reflectors on the back of the cars had to be X centimeters or millimeters from the outer edge of either side of the car. This is why RoW 930s had those reflectors in the rear bumper trim strips where the narrower 911s did not. You see little red reflectors used again on certain special 911s with rear flares past a certain point: Carrera RS 3.0, SC/RS, Ruf CTR, etc.—but this time they’re borrowed from the 356 era rather than molded in because there is no rubber molding. As they were on the 930, they’re there to meet that regulation, which I suspect has to do with the very narrow streets in many European villages and towns—to help people avoid hitting parked cars at night. Another measure alongside the left or right parking lights than can be engaged by pressing the turn signal stalk up or down before locking the car up.

Another detail I forgot about looking at the rear with the lid up...the factory tail was most likely produced in 74 using left over inventory from the long hood cars which required license plate lights. I used aluminum plates to cover those holes like the factory did on some early 74 Carreras.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Wonderful details Gib, every day's a school day .....

....thanks for sharing.

Spent yesterday working on the 3.0 RS.....making adjustments to the rear sway bar, and then making runs with the FAST A/F system mounted to get the MFI pump set just right. The car was running OK, but not as crisp as it should be. There is just no way to really get the pump adjusted right without measuring A/F ratios out the exhaust. We did several runs near Greg's home making stops to adjust the main rack to get really crisp acceleration with safe numbers ranging from 12.5 to 14.5 on hard acceleration. As I was leaving, Greg's younger son Christian(4) was excited to go with Dad on a fun run. It was a great day...
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17