Page 26 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Speedmat,

VERY NICE!

All my decals come from 'I say ding dong' in the UK, https://www.isaydingdong.co.uk/. They can do pretty much any decal, and size it to your desires.

I like your gold center wheels with the brown. Maybe add some gold Porsche or Carrera script on the side. Isaydingdong can do anything and they are reasonable with prices and prompt with shipping. They did all the decals on my Light Yellow ST...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I test mounted the fuse panel today. The extra section for the 2nd CDI box was cut from another panel and welded at my local shop. These CDIs will not be used as I am buying a pair of Partsklassik's digital CDI boxes (mounted in original Bosch boxes) especially rigged for the JBR dizzy. I had to drill new holes for mounting the MFI filter console. I used the body ground stud for one of the mountings, and it also provides a good ground for the cold start solenoid on top of the housing.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Thanks Gib! Your ST is also something VERY special ! Lucky man ;-)

I agree with you about the gold scripts!

I will follow your build closely ;-)

Speedmat,

Lovely car- I own a 76 and 77 930 myself, wonderful cars. The brown and gold look great together.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Sorry to hijack but you can follow the build thead here
    Ask me how i know
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-rennfrog.html

Speedmat & OliveR,

The 930 hotrod project is BEAUTIFUL! I will follow your thread with great enthusiasm. A very interesting concept to combine an early Turbo with pre-75 features.

I too have become a real fan of the IB cars of the mid 70s...as this thread demonstrates. That prototype Turbo at the 73 Paris show was one of my inspirations for doing the 3.0 RS project. That wide-body concept became the real life IROC and 3.0 RS cars of 74, and it was just an IB design mounted to a 73 2.8L RSR chassis. I chose to build both concepts...early Turbo and 3.0 RS into cars that inspire me with both their colors and the look they convey from that special era for Porsche. The 70s was a decade of dominance for Porsche in competition events around the world, and these street versions became the iconic representations that most every young man desired. Today they are pretty stodgy compared to the new Gt3s and RSs built with much more powerful water-cooled engines and computer controlled chassis features. But these cars will be around a long time harkening back to the days when 260 hp was super car territory. They are very entertaining to drive, and always cause that backward glance as you walk away afterwards.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Guys have asked about the engine spec details, so here they are.

3.0L MFI
    95 mm JE 10.5 CR pistons in Carrera Nikasil cylinders
    Web Cam Mod S cams (464/465)
    head I/E: 40 mm / 36 mm
    2.4L MFI pump with custom space cam to match engine perameters by MFI Werks
    JB Racing twin plug dizzy
    2.4L plastic stacks opened to RS specs, 38 mm TB bottoms
    2.4L factory air filter housing
    Timing advance to be set between 25-28 degrees
    1 5/8 European headers
    Modified stock muffler 2 in/ 1 out
    Partsklassik modified CDI boxes with 7.2k rev limit.

Built to be a strong street engine with usable torque to low 7k.

Down the road I may opt to use the ITG air filters like I used on the LY ST engine, and a Maxflow or Flowmaster 2 in/ 2 out muffler. I have figured out a way to mount them on the plastic stacks, but I also have mag stacks opened to the same specs if needed. My initial plan is to keep the engine looking period correct for the 3.0 RS which was a single plug MFI engine with 2.7 RS intake system. I decided to use a twin plug set up because it offers better combustion and it is needed for the higher 10.5 CR pistons. I felt that over time most owners of 3.0 RS cars would have had them twin plugged at some point, and maybe a better induction scheme....who knows?
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I don't know these cars so much, but at least one was converted to twin-ignition:
    http://www.duncanhamilton.com/cars-f...ra-911-3-0-rs/

Very nice engine Gib !!!

Thanks, OliveR...

I have been playing around with some seat combinations. I don't want to use the turn-buckle style seats that originally were in these cars...no drivers really used them much in the day. So I have a Recaro Rallye II for a driver and a Scheel seat for the passenger when I want to drive aggressively...or I can switch to a driver Scheel 400 style seat which is super comfortable for the occasions when I want to drive some distance in the car...like t an R Gruppe gathering in CA. I am getting too old to be squeezed in the hips for hours on end...and maybe a little too much girth.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17