Page 27 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

A friend's '77 Carrera 3.0 just gave up it's secret. German car bought in Germany when he was stationed there. The gent he bought it from claimed it was factory work and guess what? It was.

Per the factory:

"Z Order"
    Turbo Fenders front and rear with 7" and 8 " wheels

He couldn't care less that his pride and joy got a nice bump in value but he is very happy to finally put all doubts to rest.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Tom,

Your friend is a lucky man...the Carrera 3.0 cars are very special in my eyes, but a wide-body done by the factory would be at the top of my desires for a 76 or 77 911 Carrera 3.0. There is just something very iconic about the wide-body cars that speaks volumes from the mid 70s. All those ubiquitous early Turbo ads and posters are probably the reason for my feelings about the look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Thanks.

He is very lucky indeed, Gib.

What's best is that even though he has had a substantial offer, after the fact, he's in love with the car and not what it's worth.
    It's never been about the money.

That's cool.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Things are moving rather slow...trip to the LA Lit. Show weekend took me away from working on it for awhile. Trying to get all the plumbing for the oil system in place...still need some adjustments. The original undercoating is still on the car and except for being a little dirty, it is in very good condition. It will get cleaned. The front pan is all original, but now has the front cooler duct welded in.

Still don't have the new Partsklassik CDI boxes, but a guy asked to see more details of things, so here are a few details. The MFI console is moved to accomodate 2 CDI boxes, and is mounted on rubber bushings like the original location. The engine will provide no heat for the cabin, as it has 1 5/8 European headers. All the suspension will be coming off to clean, refurbish, and upgrade with 26 mm rear torsions but stock front TBs (same as orig. 3.0 RS), Tarett Engineering RSR sways F/R, rubber bushes for street handling, turbo brakes, etc.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Put the pressure washer in action yesterday and the underside is now clean. The original undercoat is still in excellent condition. Ready now to begin removing all the suspension for refurbishment.... couldn't do the pressure wash in my shop so had to keep the wheels on to roll it outside.

A thread on Pelican has morphed into some discussions about the details of the 3.0 RS and some pics I haven't seen before have been posted. Here is one from what is thought to be the Geneva Show in Mar. 74 showing a C3.0 RS with polished lip wheels with gold centers, and with a black-outlined Carrera script. Looking at restored versions of these cars, most now have this look on the wheels, but Harvey convinced me that the factory intended the wheels to have the RSR type of finish with gold centers. So mine will look like the Steven Harris Lime Green 3.0 RS and factory photo. I will use black center caps and lug nuts as shown in the factory pic. Waiting anxiously for them to arrive from Harvey....sometime soon.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I've decided to go 'fog light delete' on the 77 turbo look. I like the clean look of no fogs either hanging out in front or embedded into the valence. I had this look on my Platinum Metallic 76 Carrera 3.0, and here is a wide-body targa and white SC with no fogs, plus a factory data sheet showing no fogs on both the narrow and turbo bodies.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gib, I can understand your desire for an uncut valence, it's a nice clean look. Have you given any thought to deleting the fogs, but leaving the openings for ducts to cool the front brakes?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Jim,

I have considered that option. I have a friend who has a 76 Carrera with the later style valence with the fogs removed with black grill material in the void. It looks good, but it doesn't give the car as clean a look nor as classic. I will store this 3.2 valence and fog assembly in case I want to go back to it later. I have a clean unmolested valence with no fogs to mount after it is painted.. Here are few more cars with no fogs, and a red one with fog holes converted to brake air ports.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Will you also remove the headlight cleaning system?

Enjoying the thread very much... One question, if I may. What company supplied the front and rear bumpers?

Thanks,
    Jeff