Page 32 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by JBQuick View Post
    Greetings Gib, the Sahara Beige looks all buttoned up & is stunning ! Any updates on the Guards Red 3.0 RS ? ☺
    JB,

I must confess the 3.0 RS has been sitting idle for awhile...but it is next on my priority list. I look at the engine sitting there looking so lonely along with the beautiful body on this sparkling red beast and I hang my head in shame for the neglect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I love your RS 3.0 Gib ! We hope to see it this coming May !

JB,

I hope to have it ready for the R Gruppe gathering this year, but life sometimes intervenes. I will be having my right knee replaced in mid January, so that will slow me down for awhile.

I visited Florence, AZ yesterday to see what my favorite hardware store had to offer for the Christmas season. I love the feeling of this small town, and how the local leaders have made efforts to maintain the 'early America' feel of Main Street. This hardware store has so many items, like the old days when you could find almost anything in an open bin...pick it up and examine it without plastic wrap before buying it. It is easy to spend an hour just walking around looking at rows and rows of hardware and gadgetry, plus all the other indoor/outdoor items you expect in a good hardware store. It occupies half a city block including 2 different attached brick front buildings, and like many early American small towns it is the center of activity along Main Street.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Now that my knee replacement rehab is progressing so well, I am getting anxious to get back to work on the Guards Red 3.0 RS. I came across these pics from '88 in Anchorage with my first GR 911. It was an 83 with 30k miles in perfect condition. It came with the 5.5 mag stove burner wheels with studded snow tires. My wife enjoyed it too.

My former GR 911s....

83 SC
    89 C4
    85 491 Euro
    90 C2

It's a great color and red is definitely back in the Porsche marketplace.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Just saw this thread while researching fuel tank options for the 3.0RS, and figured this was as good a place to post as any (in lieu of starting a separate thread for a single on-topic question)

- I saw that in the Snodgrass book (pg.64) while discussing the 85L plastic "RS" tank from '73, the author claims: "Additionally, the 1974 3.0-liter Carrera RS and RSR were fitted with the 85-liter tank as well as an optional 110-liter competition plastic fuel tank (PN 911.201.010.10) that was available for endurance racing." The author goes on to contrast this by noting the novelty of the presence of the 3 holes on either side of the trunk (for the 85L tank mounting bracket) in several of the 2.7 Carreras - purportedly a carry-over from '73 RS shell production - clarifying that the 2.7s weren't, in fact, ever equipped with the 85L tank as an option.

Does anyone have actual knowledge of a 3.0RS or RSR supplied with an 85L tank? I've only been able to confirm the standard steel tank and/or 110L...
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

ST or RSR Tank.

Keith:

One of our members has a '74 2.7RS that is in restoration with Aaron Hatz. It's an early car with the holes drilled for the nut plates but it never had an RS tank. I've never seen one in a post '73 car but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

FWIW; I recently photographed an ST/RSR tank and RS tank side by side. The tanks have the same profile meaning they sit in the car at the same depth. A skid plate is an excellent idea. (Ask Dave Buhain)

As far as the driver side mounting location of the strap on the ST style I'm not sure about the factory mounts because they are not in same plane.
    Here's a photograph of a stock tank and the stock "hold down" tabs.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Keith:
    FWIW; I recently photographed an ST/RSR tank and RS tank side by side. The tanks have the same profile meaning they sit in the car at the same depth. A skid plate is an excellent idea. (Ask Dave Buhain)
    Yeah, the 85L tank is the only one that hangs low in the chassis; I've already produced a skid plate for them, so no more risk there. The 110L and the old steel tank are shallow like the standard production tanks.

Would love to verify that 85L was an option in 74 for the 3.0RS; it's pertinent to a current project.
    keith

r gruppe # 436

74 rs,rsr tanks

Keith:
    The 1974 RS, 3.0 l. M491 "for street use" has the 85 ltr. tank

The 1974 RSR, 3.0 l. M491 "competition type" has the 110 ltr. tank
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Quote Originally Posted by keith View Post
    Yeah, the 85L tank is the only one that hangs low in the chassis; I've already produced a skid plate for them, so no more risk there. The 110L and the old steel tank are shallow like the standard production tanks.

Would love to verify that 85L was an option in 74 for the 3.0RS; it's pertinent to a current project.
    Keith:

Side by side.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Keith:

Side by side.

Tom
    Yeah, you can see the extra height on the beltline in those photos (distance from floor)

I have some installed photos around somewhere - I'll look for them (85/110/standard)

(EDIT: must have them at the shop; I removed a bunch of this stuff from the home computer so I wouldn't work on the weekends)

Bob, did I send you those comparison photos?
    Last edited by keith; 02-19-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    keith

r gruppe # 436