Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    +100

Couldn't agree more. If one falls out of the sky into your hands, let me know.
    First picture is of a 911 Carrera 3.2 Club-Sport and the two last ones are of a lonely car that I loved. In essence, this was a narrow body SC/RS with a regular 3.2 engine. This F22 is certainly my favorite G-type.

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    First picture is of a 911 Carrera 3.2 Club-Sport and the two last ones are of a lonely car that I loved. In essence, this was a narrow body SC/RS with a regular 3.2 engine. This F22 is certainly my favorite G-type.
    I couldn’t agree more. 👍
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mrar View Post
    Over here we call the early "whale tail".
    Later tail "tea tray"
    Maybe these pics were what reminded me they were considered 'tea trays'....hmmm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

It is interesting to go through this old thread and find new things...the red car with the white pull knob on the instrument panel (battery cut off switch) also had a clock. The clock was deleted on the specs for the 3.0 RS, but like so many things from Porsche in the 70s, one ould have things they wished...if they were willing to pay for them.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

The 'Look' of the 3.0 RS has been carried out by high end builders over the years like Ruf and Singer. Ruf's Yellowbird CTR in the late 80s was the fastest car on the planet in the famous 1987 R&T article going 211 mph. It still looks much like the 74 3.0 RS externally. Of course it had a twin turbo engine and other improvements to make it light weight, but still weighed close to what the 74 3.0 Carrera RS weighed at around 2400 lb (but twice the hp). Ruf now has a new CTR 3 Anniversary which still has the same basic shape, but it is a totally different car under the skin. Singer is now planning to produce the 'Turbo Study' car which again has the basic shape the 3.0 RS/Turbo 50 years later. It makes a guy realize just how iconic the design was from Porsche with 54 special 911s in 1974. No other sports car make/model has had the staying power of this design shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE9pdgLKFKc
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 03-17-2024 at 07:07 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Greg has decided to go with this tartan for the Recaro Rallye II seat inserts. He will wait until after the R Gruppe treffen in May to get them done most likely. (Internet pic of fabric not great)
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 03-18-2024 at 07:01 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

This is a really nicely restored IROC. I think it is the one that Penske kept for a long time, and was in his small museum in Scottsdale a few years ago. I saw it there, and it was inspriational.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

One of the reasons I like the 3.0 Carrera RS as a tribute is the originals used the 2.7 RS MFI system with plastic stacks, with the small factory cold start lines where fuel was injected directly into the stacks for a brief period to aid cold startup. The factory cold start system kept the starting solution simple...or so I thought. The factory thermo time switch (bimetal) and aux starting relay work with the ignition switch position to turn on the cold start solenoid, but I have always had trouble getting this system to work reliably. Maybe it's just me...ha.

For MFI engines, various solutions using a cable mechanism to replace the exhaust thermal warm up expansion discs/rod on the top front of the MFI pump (or installing a manually adjusted simple screw) can provide enrichment to the pump, but it still can be difficult to get fuel into the cylinders to get the engine started. (I have tried the manual screw solution several times with less than satisfactory results)

Using the the cold start solenoid for a quick cold engine startup is possible when the solenoid is connected to a 12 volt source by a switch on the dash. We recently connected the rear window defogger switch to the cold start solenoid since the rear window with defogger lines was replaced with a 912 glass without lines. Now by turning on the ignition for a few seconds, then pulling out the anti-fog switch for a few seconds to insert fuel into the stacks, the engine starts quickly without a lot of cranking. On hot rod engines with carbs or high butterflies there is no easy way to get fuel into the cylinders quickly, so longer cranking is generally required. EFI injection systems make starting easy, but these generally do not look factory, even though they work well on hot rod engines.

Many guys have used this technique over the years for a more direct and quicker way to start an MFI engine, and I thank them for documenting this startup solution.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Just to review from previous posts, the plastic stacks have been opened up to 38 mm at the bottom, with the intake ports set at 40 mm. Pistons from JE are 10.5 CR. Cams are Mod S with 105 deg lobe centers (compared to 97 for stock S cams). The MFI pump was rebuilt by Mark Jung who modified the space cam for a targeted 250 hp fuel flow at 7000 rpm engine speed. The distributor has been changed to a twin plug unit from Germany. Flywheel is an RSR type with less weight. The fan is from a 78 SC with smaller diameter like the factory used on race engines. I did not dyno the engine so don't know what the actual output is, but that task is on Greg's list.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

As many of you have probably guessed by now....this car is my favorite 70s 911 project. I love 72s and have done 3 projects with 72s over the years and did them with a passion to recreate special 72 911s of the day. The 74 3.0 Carrera RS was a very limited edition (54 or 55) street legal light weight MFI injected 911 that was the last of the light weight 911 series in the 70s, after the 73 RS. With a 3.0L aluminum engine that was rated at 230 hp, but easily made 250 hp with very few adjustments, this model outperformed the iconic 73 Carrera RS. Virtually unknown in the US in 74 because they were not legal to import, they were all quickly spoken for, many of which were converted to full race specs similar to the IROC 911s.

These cars will probably not achieve the iconic status of the 73 RS series because so few were built, but that fact does not take away from the significance of these 911s. Aluminum engine block with more power, aluminum trailing arms and front cross bar, RSR flares for wider wheels, 917 style brakes, 73 RSR anti-sway bar design, better oil cooling solution in front air dam, lower lift values front and rear, and the same light weight features of most 73 RSs. When you look at the shape of these cars from almost any angle, they are a statement of elegance. The shape is what carried Porsche through the rest of the 70s and 80s, for both street and competition cars.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 03-25-2024 at 12:37 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17