Thread: Oil level sender electrical connectors- please confirm

Oil level sender electrical connectors- please confirm

I'm cleaning up my tail lights and getting my tank redone at Pacific Oil Cooler. So at the same time I'm redoing the fittings on the wires that connect to the sender. Im trying to keep things original. I know later positive terminal connections had a rubber boot. This one is going on a 73. Were there any boots or heat shrink tubing on either side installed originally?

I know the ring terminal for ground is missing; waiting for that to arrive. BTW, the white thermal sheathing was looking pretty janky so I purchased some from Rhode Island Wiring.

Name:  20140924_172121.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  20.5 KB
    Jeff Jensen

Thanks for the tip on Rhode Island Wiring. I need the same white thermo tubing, and I also saw that they have 1" black vinyl tubing that may work to replace the large sleeve over the rear wiring harness from the tunnel exit to the engine bay. I've been looking for that sleeve from some time.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

The other thing I've heard used for that section is an appropriate diameter bicycle tire tube. Seems just crazy enough that it might work!
    Jeff Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by mobius911 View Post
    The other thing I've heard used for that section is an appropriate diameter bicycle tire tube. Seems just crazy enough that it might work!
    Yes, I've considered that as I have plenty of bike tubes around, but the tubes are made of a very soft rubber and I didn't think they would hold up to the heat and elements in that area of the car.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Can anyone confirm how the wires are terminated? Heat shrink or not?
    Jeff Jensen

My 1973.5 does not have heat shrink on the terminals.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Thank you!
    Jeff Jensen

The terminals on my '77 did not have any shrink wrap or boots on them (that section of the harness on my '73 is missing), but the shape of the plastic ring around the center spade connector on the sending unit sure does look like it was made to take a rubber boot. I have an extra boot from my fuel pump that looks like it will fit, and will try that when I put the oil tank back in the car.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

I discovered that there is a boot for the center terminal: 999-659-011-50
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Thanks for following up! Looks like it's the same boot as used on the oil pressure sender. I'll have to check that one to see if I need to order 1 or 2...
    Jeff Jensen