Hi.

My wife and I are the proud new owners of an unrestored '72(T) Targa. The previous [2nd] owner bought the car in 1976. We received the COA but regrettably it does not include our car's production date.

Is there anyway I can extrapolate the approximate month/week our car was built using the VIN? Using Dr. Brett Johnson's book, A Restorers Guide to Authenticity for 911/912 and the VIN number guide on page 81, it appears that our car was built fairly late into the 1972 model year production cycle. Dr. Johnson's guide indicates that the last Targa built [in Dec 1971] for the 1972 production cycle had a VIN 9112111821.

The Certificate of Authenticity from PCNA shows that our car was delivered with steel wheels, which it still has and they are all date stamped 11/71. The spare wheel is date stamped 12/71. Using our car's VIN#, 9112111485, I tried locating other '72 Targa owners with VIN's close to ours in hopes that they knew their car's production date, which I then could use to approximate our car's production date. Unfortunately, none surfaced.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might go about determining our car's production date using the VIN? Any suggestions, advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you!

Bruce