Thread: 67 resto help

67 resto help

Gents,

I have recently acquired a very nice, one family owned Bahama Yellow 67' Normal cpe. It was "updated" back in the day to 73' S trim and the rubber DOT bumperettes. It also has some minor rust in the doors and is showing signs of rust within the front cross member though not the gaping holes I've seen with some. I'd like some advise on the following:

Aftermarket vs Porsche Classic Bumpers and Deco. Is the Tasker trim satisfactory and additionally is the PC price premium worth the $$? It also seems that the PC Bumpers are not available with rubber buffers. Is that correct and if so is this considered and incorrect part for this US model?

I live in So Cal near LAX. Are there any recommendations for shops experienced with long hood rust repair on the west side? I am aware of John Espisito's work and have already spoken to John Benton in OC.

I also need help sourcing the correct radio.

Many thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Carl Tofflemire
    310-418-3112

The good news is that selling the "S" trim should offset the cost of new trim. I would use only the Porsche parts, they aren't perfect but they're pretty darn good.

Save your budget for the front pan. . . there is always more rust than you can see.

WELCOME to the forum!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

great car, great color!!!

add 1 to the advice of 304065. your car will look so much better with original bumpers and trim, although i have always been partial to that rocker trim.

as for the front pan, it has been my experience that rust is 5-10 times larger than what you see, unless you remove the paint, bodyschutz, and bring it to bare metal ... then the rust is only 2X what you see.

good luck.

Unless I'm missing something why can't he just replace the decos and bumper guards ? Depending on how things were painted (masked vs non masked ) that may not even be an issue.
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

If you do end up deciding to sell the S bumper trim, please let me know as I am looking for a set.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945