Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dating fuchs on my 1971 T Targa

Dating fuchs on my 1971 T Targa

Hi All,

I acquired my 71 t targa several years ago, my first 911 after a number of 356's. the car is number matching - vin, engine and tranny. Tom at Mobile Works West who is servicing the car indicated that the interior and carpet are probably origonal and the car exhibits no accident damage and very little rust, a survivor. Except for changing out the permatune to MSD and holes cut in doors for speakers and color change by PO, I think it is all stock. Can I determine if the fuchs are also origonal?? Vin is 911 11113380 and 1971 targas end with 3476 so my car is 96 from end of production. Driver door sticker says 07 71 so produced in july of 1971. I pulled spare and cleaded it up as best I could and found very little inscribing. only legible lettering was large 6JX15 in one recess and very much smaller

901 361.01206

Is there any significance to this?

al

The part number is correct for a "Deep Six" wheel of that era.
    Look from the back side of the wheel around the center hole and you should find something like "6 71" or "7 71" which would be the month and year of manufacture of the wheel.
    Wheels usually fall into a 3 month window which would include the month of car production. I would expect to see 6 71 or 7 71 on your car.
    Bob B
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 09-26-2014 at 10:52 PM.

# 2991
    Here's a pic of the spare on one of my previous cars.
    If you look closely at the spoke with the 6x15, you can see the date code of 1172

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  132.5 KB

Here's a little bit better picture of the date location on the fuchs wheel.Name:  Porsche fuchs date stamp.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  15.6 KB

Wheel Date-codes . . .

. . . another pic

HtH
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

If your car was produced in 7/71, it would have "flat 6s" not "deep 6s"
    911 361 020 00
    The change was about 3/71....
    So your wheels aren't original if they have....
    901 361 012 06

HTH
    H

I examined back of wheel and found 12 70 stamp so the wheels date to Dec. 1970

Regis turd ab user
    If you are looking at one wheel, that is the date of one wheel. If it is your spare there is a good possibility it won't match, it also could have been rotated through the set of five, added as a replacement or ? The only way to know is to look at each one.

David

Quote Originally Posted by laneranch View Post
    I examined back of wheel and found 12 70 stamp so the wheels date to Dec. 1970
    Still not the right date for 7/71 car...and wrong part number...7 months difference isn't in the norm even for a "delayed" car which would have a lower chassis number.
    H

All theses responses have been very helpful. I do not plan of removing a wheel right now to see what the wheels on the car are stamped but that will wait. apparently my spare has the wrong date stamp and someone earlier said I should have flat 6's and not deep 6's which the spare is. What is the difference?
    Al