Thread: What does 110 octane leaded gas do in a 3.0L turbo motor strapped to a long hood?

What does 110 octane leaded gas do in a 3.0L turbo motor strapped to a long hood?

It makes you smile really really big. I went for a nice fall drive to the state line liquor store to pick up some bourbon (don't judge me and don't tell my wife) and the little turbo motor sure loves the 60 degree weather when it's running the hooch. Rear tires scrabbling for grip on throttle at 60 mph is a beautiful thing.
    Early 911 S Registry #2701
    930 powered 1973 911T

member #1515
    It means you don't have to worry about detonation and can floor it!
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by getz View Post
    It makes you smile really really big. I went for a nice fall drive to the state line liquor store to pick up some bourbon (don't judge me and don't tell my wife) and the little turbo motor sure loves the 60 degree weather when it's running the hooch. Rear tires scrabbling for grip on throttle at 60 mph is a beautiful thing.
    Turn up the boost!
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

It means, as is, there's reduced worry about detonation and expensive repairs. To take advantage of the knock suppressant of high octane, one can add more boost and/or ignition advance for more power and once again worry about detonation and expensive repairs.

Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
    It means, as is, there's reduced worry about detonation and expensive repairs. To take advantage of the knock suppressant of high octane, one can add more boost and/or ignition advance for more power and once again worry about detonation and expensive repairs.

Sherwood
    Did someone order a Hoover? Because Sherwood just sucked the fun right out of the room.
    -Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Did someone order a Hoover? Because Sherwood just sucked the fun right out of the room.
    Marco,
    Merely completing a wishful story arc. Have you noticed that many crew chiefs install the boost controller in the trunk instead of within reach of their driver?

In addition, did you forget you're positioned on both ends of the happiness quotient?

Seems like a lot of octane for a street motor, May actually be costing you hp. My factory 935 likes 100 octane when running 1 bar which is good for over 700 hp at the flywheel in my 3.2 twin

My boost knob is well within reach I just never felt the need to twist it

935 Owners Registry #02
    1969 911S, 1970 Euro 914-6
    935 1978
    Copeman Porsche 911 IMSA GTO
    1981 924 Carrera GT

Quote Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
    Marco,
    Merely completing a wishful story arc. Have you noticed that many crew chiefs install the boost controller in the trunk instead of within reach of their driver?

In addition, did you forget you're positioned on both ends of the happiness quotient?
    Book ends of life, Chief. Gotta take the highs with the lows. As for the Dial-a-death, no, most every boost knob I've seen was within reach of the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by VZ935 View Post
    Seems like a lot of octane for a street motor, May actually be costing you hp. My factory 935 likes 100 octane when running 1 bar which is good for over 700 hp at the flywheel in my 3.2 twin

My boost knob is well within reach I just never felt the need to twist it

Never felt the need to play with your knob? That's not normal, Van.
    -Marco

TLG Marco machine, when standing still !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post

Never felt the need to play with your knob? That's not normal, Van.
    Marco
    Not that I will ever admit!!!
    935 Owners Registry #02
    1969 911S, 1970 Euro 914-6
    935 1978
    Copeman Porsche 911 IMSA GTO
    1981 924 Carrera GT