Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: correct Air Filter Housing finish/paint-

correct Air Filter Housing finish/paint-

I really want to get the air filter housing Concours perfect. This is for a 1971 2.2 metal air filter housing. From what I've gathered and seen is that the original housing is somewhere in between a semi-gloss and glossy black. This same finish is also on the engine sheet metal tin and electrical box housing. What is your thoughts on the correct sort of paint?

Also, did Porsche plate the raw metal of the air cleaner housing before applying paint? Unlike the paint on the body, the paint on the housing and other parts clearly never had a primer under the paint to make the paint stick the metal. So that leads to the next question- Did Porsche use a special sort of paint like an enamel paint? Did they oven bake the enamel paint so it would bond better?

They don't appear to have been plated in any way to the best of my knowledge.

Satin black is what you want. Wurth is a good match, but I prefer 2pac or powder coat for longevity.
    Tony

I agree with powder coat, and a good-match industry standard color is BK-05, low-gloss black.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

The original air filter parts were dipped as all of the engine tin was with a semi (satin) gloss enamel on bare metal then baked.
    Powder coat will last better but a little thick and sometimes losing some detail if not done sparingly.
    If you want them to look original, then the closest to dipping would be spraying them.
    IMHO
    H

no they were plastic so don't paint them - find a good injection mold company and pay them $20K to design a mold and there you go
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

When you look at the engine picture in the '72 sales brochure , the black paint is shiny ; so why the satin ? The engine tin is shiny on my '73 E with 7000 miles . I don't mean shiny like the cars exterior paint , but cheap paint that was shiny and began to loose it's gloss the day it left the factory . I guess semi-gloss is close , but not satin- too flat . My 2 cents .

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03 View Post
    no they were plastic so don't paint them - find a good injection mold company and pay them $20K to design a mold and there you go
    My 71 is metal and my 72 is plastic. Don't know the exact changeover but obviously I was talking about paint on the metal part....
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    When you look at the engine picture in the '72 sales brochure , the black paint is shiny ; so why the satin ? The engine tin is shiny on my '73 E with 7000 miles . I don't mean shiny like the cars exterior paint , but cheap paint that was shiny and began to loose it's gloss the day it left the factory . I guess semi-gloss is close , but not satin- too flat . My 2 cents .
    The black is easily influenced by cleaning or polishing...or flash photos.....
    The terms semi-gloss and satin are vague and used differently by paint mfgs.
    The main thing is the paint is not gloss. I have NOS engine tin parts that I match to and they are about 70-80% gloss.
    H

Okay, now that the OP has his answer on the paint match, does anyone have any suggestions on reviving a plastic cover?
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!