Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1968 911S Deep Sixes 6 x 15 !

FS: EARLY ULTRA RARE 1968 911S Deep Sixes 6 x 15

Factory production prototypes? Transitional forging dies ?
    Interim work arounds ?

p/n 901.361.012.04
    Date code 6/68
    6Jx15
    with hearts
    with 3 prong caps

All the pundits say these don't exist, but here are the pictures.
    You will notice the P/N and Width are raised letters, not stamped,
    (a product of the forge die) therefore not subject to alteration
    by grinding and re stamping with a new number. Only the date code
    is stamped in with hand tools.

Yes, they need new paint and light polishing. I dismounted them today and
    found pitting in the bead seating areas and other small imperfections.
    These are 46 years old so of course they wont be perfect.
    I am open to negotiations over price and condition. (:-)

Price is lowered for fast sale to $2,800 plus shipping. (Negotiable, O.B.O)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 911TARGA4S; 10-09-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Those are not deep 6's. They are more rare than deep 6's. They are 5.5 x 15's and they were only available in '68. The deep 6 p/n is 901-361-012-06.

GLWS.

-Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Dave, they have a 15x6 stamping and appear to have the lip depth of a 6" wheel. My guess is that this was a very early deep 6 manufactured during a transition period.

At that price (roughly twice market price for core wheels) and with a lack of good images, I suspect it is irrelevant anyway.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

It rained like hell here today (Vancouver Wa), However I suspect there will be better,
    even more relevant pictures tomorrow. unless it rains again....

Welcome to the early S. I also live in Vancouver and yes it was wet today. If you want help clearing up the wheel size I can bring over a deep six for comparison. I'll send you a private message if you want to get ahold of me.

Thank you for your helpfullness and backing my case, Yes, it may become necessary to offer a second set of eyes
    to the comparison and another picture to confirm my visual proof, and lay this controversy to rest.
    A "witness" so to speak. Plse send pm at your leisure and come look.

Regis turd ab user
    Remove the tire, measure the width and take a photo.

If you have a matched date code set with the 5.5" part number and the 6J stamp and they are deep sixes, I think they could be quite valuable to the person who has a very early LWB car.

Pictures

Additional pictures.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    Dave, they have a 15x6 stamping and appear to have the lip depth of a 6" wheel. My guess is that this was a very early deep 6 manufactured during a transition period.

At that price (roughly twice market price for core wheels) and with a lack of good images, I suspect it is irrelevant anyway.
    Agreed. Many instances out there of the last two digits of the PN ground off and either re-stamped or inked. Certainly a six and desirable for an early 69 but, that's it.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I visited with the seller this afternoon and as an owner of 7 deep six rims, I looked through my rims and I also have a rim dated 6/68. I took my rim with me to compare and these pics should confirm that the wheels are in fact deep sixes and have not been altered. I can confirm that the rim size is in raised letters so it is not possible to have altered that. My rim has had it's part number and rim size ground off and the grind marks are still apparent. I had read somewhere that the earliest deep sixes had the numbers ground off. The only thing left on my rim is the date stamping. The set of rims for sale here somehow got past the grinder at the fuchs factory but they are most definitely deep sixes. 20141001_144233.jpg20141001_144331.jpg20141001_144342.jpg20141001_144413.jpg